Bookshelf vs diffuser panel. Who wins?

I have a 3 x 5 bookshelf filled with books. The books are not even and some are more inserted than others.

Isn't this accomplishing the same thing as a 3 x 5 diffuser panel?

jumia

@jumia 

I also acquired/rescued 40 lawn bags of books from the estate of the late Universal  pictures conductor Joseph Gershenson which were left out in 1988 for trash.  I took the 1,000+ books, donated half to CSUN (many were 1st editions/unsigned) who sold them at their book sale fundraiser.  My late former wife created the Friends of the Library there so it was a very appropriate donation.  I kept the music and history books. 

Glad you kept the Sandburg books.  For my late former wife's last birthday, I purchased the only remaining seven years (1916-1923) of the Owensmouth Gazette, bound by the former owner, Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan author) who also founded and lived in Tarzana, CA.  Since my late former wife was the historian of the San Fernando Valley (she had three urban archives exhibits, one on line by the Getty Museum), president 10 years of the SFV historical society, this was the greatest gift I could give her.  Unfortunately, she died (after an 11 year systemic lupus illness) a few months later.  I then had the Huntington Library make a negative and positive microfilm copy which I donated to CSUN.   

Unfortunately, university libraries have greatly diminished book collections, at least not on the shelves, whose spaces are now occupied by banks of computers.

fleschler:

Friends of the Library was our "cheap date" going back to 1991 and up until Covid-19 put a halt to the sales.

We walked to the North Gardner library until it was closed and also frequented our local Sunset, Fairfax and Melrose libraries.

My wife maintains contact with many of the volunteers via social media as she has not been to a library since March of 2020 (I have been performing the drop off/pickups since then).

DeKay

@dekay  We are neighbors!  Bobbette Fleschler & Catherine Mulholland founded the Friends in 1993.  I know because when I made the final bid for my house she was at the founders meeting and was elected first president that day.  (We got the house because of the photo).  Bobbette was in the Daily News newspaper in a large photo on the 3rd page showing her with our young daughter in the CSUN orange grove.  She was partly responsible for saving it (and was featured on a Huell Howser show).  You can appreciate my final gift to her.