Vandersteen 2WQ

Has anyone had any luck blending the Vandersteen 2WQ sub with any speakers other than the Vandersteen models?
timo62
Bob,
I appreciate your contribution......but am a little confused?
The Low-Pass filter built into the 2Wq subs own amplifier only operates below 80Hz I believe....or are you saying there is some output ABOVE 80 Hz for the actual sub?
I thought there was general agreement that below 80Hz......there was no audible directionality to the sound which would mean that the subs could be placed away from the main speakers without disclosing their locations?
Am I missing something here?
(((if you could place the subs elsewhere without having the sub make itself known))
Bob have you ever owned a Vandersteen 2WQ?
Cheers JohnnyR
Vandy dealer
Re Halcro's last question, a crossover point is usually (but probably not always) defined as the frequency at which both the low pass and high pass responses are down 3 db. A first order crossover, such as the 2WQ is described as having, will have a very gentle rolloff of about 6 db per octave from there. More precisely, for an 80 Hz crossover point a first order low pass response would be down only about 7 db at 160 Hz, 12 db at 320 Hz, 18 db at 640 Hz, 24 db at 1280 Hz, etc. So, yes, there will be significant output well above 80 Hz. Although mechanical rolloff of the drivers will eventually sharpen the overall rolloff at mid and high frequencies.

That said, the graph at the bottom of page 2 of the manual appears to depict rolloffs that are far more rapid than 6 db/octave, even for "position 1," which is described as providing "the tightest bass and best transient response" and is apparently the most neutral. Which leaves me perplexed.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with any Vandersteen products. Just trying to shed some light on the technical issues.

Regards,
-- Al
Post removed 
The reason for first order filters mostly is they ring much less.
The Vandersteen 2WQ 3- 8 inch sealed woofers are Down firing,slot loaded which blocks higher frequencies but still maintains a more optimum transient response.
The reason for stereo sub-woofers is because there is
stereo information in the bass.
On some recordings the difference between them enhances the sense of space at the venue.
Using two sources, placed in two different locations,in the room gives a more linear response always.
Quasi first order low- pass filters sum better with a first order high-pass with notably less ringing.
JohnnyR dealer