Green Mountain Audio

I picked up a set of Diamante's for cheap. They have trashed foam surrounds but otherwise seem fine. I plan on veneering the "marble" with a beautiful teak or rosewood- I haven't decided.The angles will look pretty cool with the right veneer. The marble is not so cool but rigid and heavy. 

Curious if some upgraded drivers would improve the sound- as apposed to re-foaming. I realize this is a shot in the dark but my understanding is Roy from GMA has passed so not sure where to get driver advice. Open to any and all suggestions.

ovinewar1

Your friend is spot on in many of the discussions I have seen. This one has been refreshingly civil- maybe I should bring up fuses or wire 😉. I have been able to order replacement surrounds and even the tweeter silk dome. Should take a few weeks to all come in and I will update. I asked a local cultured marble place for some scraps to experiment on veneering techniques as well.  And DeKay…. I hit the jackpot on the marriage front. 

Roy would dumb things down so that i could understand what the hell he was talking about. in the end it was all academic, its how they sounded that counted.  wished he had quit smoking. 

I would also agree to refoam and not try and replace the drivers.  I know Roy would also for some drivers write - , 0 , or + on the back of the drivers as he would then match the drivers and only include the same matched drivers that he individually tested.  So for instance both tweeters would have the marking - on them not - and then +.

I've owned the Europas, Callistos, Eos HX and C1.5 and they were all excellent speakers.  I still have the Callistos and spare woofers for them.  I've since upgraded to full range speakers but the midrange, detail, soundstaging and realism of the Green Mountains was first rate.  I also enjoyed speaking with Roy on many occasions although I really didn't understand all the physics.  I always felt like I just had a one hour physics class when the call ended.  He was such a great, knowledgeable guy.  I was in line to get the EOS ribbon tweeter model but unfortunately that never happened.

I never met him but have never seen anyone post that he was anything but a true genius and a really nice guy. I saw these in a local ad and couldn’t believe a pair would be tucked away in the middle of nowhere. They were not in the hands of an audiophile. Covered in dog hair and dust, and by nature not very attractive, they were a sorry lot. They will come back to life and stay in the family collection. I don’t like to see vintage high end go to the trash or destroyed. 

If you picked up the pair in south NJ, I’d like to hear how they turn out after repairing.

miller sound is your best option for quickly getting them up and running at/near close to original spec.

regarding resurfacing the exterior, I would suggest a slightly left field approach: cover them in leather.

you can find dark brown leather that looks rich, like wood and will be forgiving to apply with 3m interior trim spray adhesive.

I would also suggest hitting the interior wiring connections and crossover circuits with deoxit to freshen up the connections