Looking for Speaker Recommendations

Hi,

I am getting a new system and am looking for speaker recommendations. I will have a ma8950 and will, at least initially, be streaming exclusively. Focal and B & W are too bright and fatiguing. Wilson SabrinaX are good except for the price. Any thoughts? Thanks.

wast314

And the old Legacy speakers such as the Signature IIIs are made for any type of music and easy to drive with smaller amps, even a 17 watt Sherwood receiver from the 1970s (how I auditioned them).   Used on high end gear, they are on par with $10K to $20K speakers.  I haven't heard the latest version but used, they sell for $1500 to $2300.  Great, deep, tight bass, open sound with rear ambiance tweeter, tonally colorful, not bright or veiled.  They are medium sized towers weigh 135 lbs.            

I'll add to the Vandersteen Treo recommendations. I'm not sure what the OP's reference to being too wide actually means but they are bottom ported off the bass driver and can be positioned relatively close to the wall or corners if needed. Dimensionally I don't believe they have a much larger footprint than many of the other floor or stand mount speakers. 

My system is in a small 13' x 14' room and sound great with all trypes of music and at low, mid and high volume levels. 

All great recommendations I think.  I’d also give serious consideration to PranaFidelity’s Dhara line. Give Steven Norber at Prana a call. He’s a true gentleman and is a wealth of info.  If all you do is just a call, it’ll still be worth your while. 

Undoubtedly, you would be happy with Legacy speakers.  I own a pair of Legacy Focus SE’s, and the are exactly what you are looking for.  Full range, wonderful ribbon tweeters (top end is smooth, but extended), beautiful midrange, and bottom end that is extended and fast.  They image like small monitors (but you’ll have to work with placement (which is true of any speaker).  Now this is a pretty large speaker, and if it’s too large for you and your wife, I’d look at other speakers in the Legacy line up…perhaps the Legacy Calibre?  Good luck!