Atma-Sphere Class D… Amazing

Today I picked up my Atma-Sphere Class D Amps. These aren’t broken in yet. And they are simply amazing. I’ve listen to a lot of High End Class D. Some that cost many times what Atma-Sphere Class D costs. I wasn’t a fan of any of them. But these amps are amazing. I really expected to hate them. So my expectations were low. The Details are of what I’ve never heard from any other amps. They are extremely neutral. To say the realism is is extremely good is a gross understatement. They are so transparent it’s scary. These amps just grab you and suck you into the music. After I live with them some and get them broken in. And do some comparisons to some other high end Amps Solid State, Tubes and Class D’s, also in other systems I’ll do a more comprehensive review. But for now, these are simply amazing amps.. Congrats to Ralph and his team. You guys nailed on these.

128x128pstores

@ddafoe Which Pass amp do you have and how does it compare to the GaN amp?

I owned the X250.8 for maybe 5 years and switched to the XA30.8 a couple years ago.

I find Pass to be very smooth, a tad warm, offers zero fatigue, very natural tone, and throws a killer front to back soundstage.  So far I find the Atmasphere GaN monos to have a very similar sound to my XA30.8.

"very smooth, a tad warm, offers zero fatigue and very natural tone", check.

"throws a killer front to back soundstage, ...", is slightly different but just as engaging I think so far at least.
I find the monos offer a maybe slightly less 'meat-on-the bones', but a wider soundstage, good depth but maybe not quite as deep, but offer a blacker background and ultimately allow me to hear in and around the instruments just as much, just in a slightly different way.

When I get more time I plan to swap back to my Pass and compare the higher frequencies.   That is one area where I haven't made a decision yet on how they compare.   I find the Pass amps to offer very nice high frequency detail and refinement, without being bright or forward.   

I can see why tube amp owners or Pass owners would like these.   Personally, judging them based solely on their looks, power rating, or because they are GaN based as some folks have done doesn't really hit the mark in my view.   They definitely sound different and very Pass like compared to most amps I've owned.  Some folks may love them and some not so much, but in my opinion they are not the type of amp you just throw in as just another Class D or GaN offering.   They are definitely worth a listen if the sound characteristics I mentioned above float your boat... 

I’d bet that logo was picked,  and identified, to show .001 lower distortion and zero feedback on their OTL Amps. I’d bet since it was such a success with the OTL’s  they continued them onto the the Class D for same reasons…. But if you look closely at the logo…. It’s pretty damn cool design. And it’s been around for along time, decades. First I’ve heard of the logo complaint. 

soix

5,337 posts

I’m pretty sure they found that logo to sound the best after testing many others.  Everything matters.

dDAFoe,  thanks for the comparisons. Specifically to the 30.8. I’ll be comparing them to the 30.8, 60.8 and a couple from the .5 series. So it will be interesting. I do love Pass Amps. And without doing a side by side I’d say your spot on. But can’t wait to do a side by side for the true comparison. Thanks again

Ralph has been making amazing amplifiers for a very long time. My next amplifier will be his class D monos. An acquaintance in Kansas has them and they sound great, will be visiting this client next week and look forward to another listening session at he home.

@pstores what preamp are you using?

Jerryg123, I am running an Atma-Sphere MP-3 with Vcaps and Caddocks. Tubes are Amperex Bugle Boys.