Whizzer cone drivers

According to my expirience as speaker designer , i am wondering why so  many companies  still making loudspeakers with wizzer cone drivers and  so many  guys fall in love with this products choosing small paper cone as a additonal tweeter prefering high quality tweeter made from top quality components.Yes, no crossover ( capacitor) , but still ?

128x128bache

enabled by the lack of hysteresis inherent in all inductor and capacitor based crossovers.

I get why driving speakers directly can sound better, but this explanation isn't it.

IME working with 'full range' drivers over the last 20 years they simply aren't. You need both a tweeter and a sub to really make them work.

Whizzer cones seem to often suffer breakups. These are easy to see if you use pink noise and spectral analysis (which is available as an app for a smartphone).

....while drilling about for details and examples of omni approaches of the past and present to put some sense into my Walsh project, I ran into this:

http://www.roger-russell.com/omni/omni.htm#onea

If you shortcut to the Hegeman 1a and the Eico portions, these ’whizzer variants’ were simple enough for me to half-tush a pair diy out of curiosity.

Surprisingly enough for something so simple to accomplish, it’s interesting to make a whizzer cone respond in an omni fashion, albeit vaguely directional.
If the slant of the cone is handled in ’sweet spot’ fashion, it works.

The hardest part is ’rolling’ a cone with a 45 deg. angle in a lightweight enough material to not hinder the drivers employed, but...

No static 'over driver' cones. either.....and not as effective as a full Walsh omni driver. but cheap thrills on the quick. *G*

It’s (imho) the only application of a whizzer cone that actually makes a difference.
That, and the patent filed for the method predates the original Ohm/Walsh patent, which makes one wonder....🤷‍♂️

Forward, into the past....*L*

Oh, btw...toss some cotton 'fluff' into the cones, it tames the 'cone honk' I notice from an open cone....the 'Rudy Vallee/megaphone' quality that's the main drawback....

That, and the cone really needs to be flipped vertically as it radiates more at your knees, but that's why the old Ohms work so well... ;)

Try listening to Cube Nenuphar V2's with a tube amp (low damping factor) and let your ears decide how this particular whizzer cone driver sounds. 

For SS amp, Enleum AMP23R does very well with the Cube driver.