Class D Amplification Announcement

After 60 some odd years of disappointment, Class D has finally arrived. As per The Absolute Sound’s Jonathan Valin, the Borrenson-designed Aavik P-580 amp “is the first Class D amplifier I can recommend without the usual reservations. …the P-580 does not have the usual digital-like upper-mid/lower-treble glare or brick wall-like top-octave cut-off that Class D amps of the past have evinced.”

Past designers of Class D and audiophiles, rejoice; Michael Borrenson has finally realized the potential of Class D.

psag

I do not believe the majority of " audiophiles " know how to listen to music, and are listening to the things that do not correspond to live, unamplified musical performances. Buying an amplifier, to make Nils Lofgren’s guitar ( from Keith Don’t Go, Live ) " sound " a better way....a different way, in tone, in stage location, all from a source that was recorded ( it is done regularly by most ). Music has several key components....rhythm, texture, dynamics, pitch, form and timbre. Admittedly, I have a musical background, and learned about music. I listen to recorded music a particular way, and my low cost system ( compared to others here ), delivers the goods, that pleases me and engages me.

“…so if a system makes them sound “live” it’s manipulating the crap out of the recording and is highly inaccurate.”

I’m reminded of Yes’ album, Close To The Edge.  Not the greatest recording, but it very nicely gets the job done.  When Rick Wakeman’s church organ comes in, are we meant to believe we’ve been transported to a cathedral?  Thankfully, the recording engineer didn’t waste any effort trying to make it sound that way.

**** The idea that there can be a high rez system (def: revealing of the recording) that is not well-balanced is, if anything, a contradiction in terms. ****

Wrong! Most audiophiles with systems that have aspirations of being truly “High End” (high rez) have systems that sound distinctly different from each other. IOW, they are each balanced differently. So, by extension, it can be said that some (most?) are not balanced well. Some are, and it is these that can best reproduce a great recording of live acoustic, or minimally amplified music really well. It is also those systems that can reproduce “Kamakiriad” or “Close to the Edge” with sound closest to what the engineer/producer intended; IOW, sound closest to what is actually on the recording. That sound may not be to the listener’s liking, but it will be closest to what is actually there.

**** Whether or not the listener is familiar with the sound of live music (I am) is simply not relevant- neither the recordings nor the equipment is designed to simulate a live performance. ****

Wrong on both counts.  Telling, the use of the word “designed” in reference to recordings. Many recordings strive to simulate the sound of the performance as it sounded live. Likewise, many of the best audio equipment designers have as their goal getting as close as possible to the sound of live. Just ask them if you get a chance.

**** How much of the music that is consumed these days is comprised of acoustic instruments on a stage, recorded ‘live’? Virtually zero.****

With respect, you should get out more often 😊

Cheers.

Of course it has arrived and not a minute too soon. If this is not announced they won't be able to sell any new boxes. They're going to have to start sending out to some interested parties a test amp so that they can be sampled and thus the good word can be spread. This time they mean it, get ready folks to finally toss out your class A and Class AB amps.

@phd Ha! You're feeding into the hype! 

Class A and Class AB will never be obsolete in the second-hand market. Sometimes I wonder if it's not wiser to score a Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer/Onkyo/NAD amp for $100 on the used market and pair that with sufficiently good speakers and call it a day. 

I might be diverting the conversation towards budget gear and vintage gear. But I would love a comparison between a vintage A/B amp and a cheap China amp using class D. 

To me the high end is clouded in a veneer of romanticism and craftsmanship. For example people who buy expensive tube amplifiers are not interested in getting the best performance metrics. They're looking for a unique experience. This may explain why some audiophiles have several different amps/speakers/turntables and DACs for different experiences. It's just nice to switch it up.