Loud bad noises

Recently, playing CDs I suddenty get some very bad distortion...loud rapid static. If I'd been listening to an LP I'd describe it as "skipping". It's extremely random. The CDs are not scratched. Things start out OK and then part way through a track this loud bad noise starts. It happens on various CDs. Running a Cambridge Audio D500SE to Theta DAC to Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer. I'm thinking the Cambridge Audio being used as transport is failing. I can do some further testing...just wondering if this seems familiar to anyone. Thanks in advance.
Cordially,
GH
128x128ghosthouse
Celtic66 -
Thanks for the response. The Cambridge does have some years on it. Do you think a laser failing is more likely than a malfunction of the DAC? The noise is centered, coming from both channels simulaneously. I was concerned the DAC wasn't processing properly and was sending an unconverted digital stream to the amp.

To better describe the noise, I'll hear an occasional snap, then a few more in rapid succession and finally a continuous stream of very close spaced snaps...like a ripping or buzzing noise from both channels. If I stop play, and then restart, things are OK for a little bit...but the problem soon returns. This happened on a few widely separated occasions over the last weeks. I thought the Herbies Black Hole CD mat I'd been using was losing its grip so stopped using it. Last night, unlike other occasions, the problem did not go away. Thanks for any other comments you might have.
GH
Try listening to the player's analog output. If that is OK the problem is with the DAC. However, it does sound like a transport problem.
Lasers are a little like light bulbs in tnat they evetnually wear out and need to be replaced.