FR64 to FR66 conversion Analogmagik

Hi guys

I read the thread started by @syntax whose opinion I genuinely value. I have decided to get Richard Mak to refurb my FR64s arm.

Whilst on the website I saw you could get an FR66 replica arm tube.

Has anyone done this conversion?

What is the benefit of going 9 to 12 inches?

There is a very solid school of thought advocated by the maker of the SAT arm and the late great Max Townshend that the shorter the arm the better - rigidity and also resonance outweigh tracking improvement…

I would be grateful for the input of anyone particularly those who have both arms or got the conversion 

thanks 🙏 

lohanimal

FYI, I use my FR64S on my modified QL10. Plinth has been heavily reinforced with aluminum and the armboard went in the trash in favor of an aluminum copy that is also bulked up. At that point in my audio life when I acquired the QL10 and fixed the TT101, I had no more patience for creating a new plinth from scratch. So I improved upon the original.

@lewm i have considered the modified plinth approach, but I took the view (rightly or wrongly) that a ground up design will look or feel more of a piece so to speak.

that said - did you notice an improvement by adding the plates/mass

i know that on Arthur Salvatore site one man has made a waist high solid plinth - that said I think you risk seismic feedback. Apparently it is superb.

I can only fairly say that to my ears the stiffened OEM plinth plus the mass-loaded mounting board plus the FR B60 base for the FR64S sounds “bigger” and with superior bass response compared to the original configuration. I could send photos if your interested but not until next week as we’re vacationing in northern CA at the moment, and  I live in MD.

I've added some photo's to my profile of my custom armboards for my Victor CL-2P plinth. They use a quick change insert, remove (6) 10-32 screws and the arm comes out with the insert as a complete assembly.

Maybe this can give someone ideas.....

BillWojo