Basic question about power/watts

Hi everyone - I have a question that I can't seem to wrap my head around.  

I purchased a pair of Magnepans a few months back. Honestly, I do not like them. They have their moments but overall, pffft.

So, related to this, I keep reading from various Maggie owners you need TONS of power to make these things sing rather than squawk. I bought a new amp that is rated at 80 wpc at 4ohms. This, I realize, is low power when I see these guys saying they are running some crazy amount like 600 watts per channel. Here is my actual question:

When you are listening to your speakers at a normal volume, the wattage you are using is not near the POSSIBLE output, correct? My 80 wpc is unbearable with the volume at the 11 o'clock position. Why does a person need or want 600 watts? I suspect I am missing something here. Maybe this has to do with why I dislike my Magnepans. Somebody take a moment to set me straight?

Thanks! 

timintexas

People are very silly and wrong when it comes to amps and speaker efficiency. You yourself said that it's "unbearable" with the knob at 11 o'clock and a 600 watt amp will just be unbearable (but sound the same) at 7 o'clock.

I don’t have any experience with electrostatics, but I was meh about my old B&W 803 D2 speakers when paired with pretty much any popular amp from McIntosh, Moon, Bryston, etc. Sound on occasion was harsh in the midrange. Some tracks I couldn’t even play. I know HiFi and poor recordings don’t mix, but these weren’t poor recordings. Then thanks to these boards I found the Diablo 300 from Gryphon. When I picked one up, suddenly I loved my speakers!

Just goes to show how much difference an amp can make…

It is called Headroom. Extremely important for my preferred musical experience.

@audiojan nailed it and supplemented by @jmalen123 and in general terms you have to look at solid state power.

TONS of good advice here.  Wow!   So glad that most posters actually understand what is going on here.

While most all are on point, @misstl has a superb post.  The "more info needed" posts are also on point.

As a former dealer who set up MANY pairs of Maggies in MANY types of rooms, please read these posts and CALL YOUR DEALER.  He or she is going to provide the most appropriate help for you since a visit to your room is key.

Best of luck--no box is as accurate as Maggies, so keep working on it.  Hopefully your room will be able to handle them.

Cheers!