The new dynamic in speaker pricing

Yesterday I received the latest issue of the Absolute Sound mag. This issue has the round up of the varying speaker manufacturer’s wares along with the retail pricing. One thing that struck me is the number of speaker manufacturer’s who have a speaker in their line up that cost close to a $1M!! There are good number of speakers now available with prices in the $700K+ range. A few manufacturer’s are also a little ’glib’ with their top model pricing, such as Oswalds Mill--who state- price upon inquiry only!

This new speaker pricing dynamic is interesting, as it clearly indicates that there are buyers out there who are happy to pay these prices and presumably enough buyers to make these products viable. A trend that is certainly interesting and yet questionable as to how it will impact the hobby as a whole.

Opinions on this trend?

128x128daveyf

@kokakolia there are some huge differences between kitchens and hifi systems. In a kitchen the different storage units must fit and the doors must fit the storage units but other than that it's mostly about how it looks.

If you have a crossover and some speaker elements that fit you can't just change one of them. Even the box affects the sound and has to match the other parts. I know there are some good kits out there but the best solution seems to be a complete set with drivers and crossover and a box that may need assembly, like an Ikea chair. What you save money on is that the box may use simpler materials and not look pretty and of course the assembly. 

@headphonedreams I understand that a specific driver required a specific cabinet with specific dimensions. That's the basis of speaker design. 

I'm thinking about the problem in terms of small, medium or large cabinets with associated drivers and crossovers. 

We are already intuitively doing that at Hi-fi shops by offering different speaker models. However these speaker models have unknown components. I want to add transparency to the business. 

That said, this measure doesn't favor the manufacturer at all. This is purely a DIY approach to speakers. You pick a driver then you pick the enclosure and crossover. The manufacturer does that choice for us already. 

"What would you pay for a good night’s sleep? If you were Canadian rap star Drake, you’d be willing to fork over $400,000."

The approximate cost of his mattress.