Modify Oppo 980 or add External DAC?

Will adding an external DAC to an Oppo 980 bring the same type of audio improvement as internal mods?
Ag insider logo xs@2xjgiacalo
I see no good rationale to modify a cd/dvd player for better DAC. If you need a better DAC doesn't it make better sense to just add the DAC and use the player as a transport? Essentially that is what your then using the original player for. I just think depending on what mods you do to a piece of gear, it could loose all its value if you ever wish to sell it, as you'd have to find a buyer that not only wanted the original piece of gear, but who appreciated the mods too and was willing to pay a premium for both. Meanwhile just adding a DAC, you always have two stock pieces of gear, worth whatever their worth, with no 'story' to tell to sell them.

Also, having seperate gear you can always upgrade one without the other.

I dunno though, just my 2 cents worth.
Ben,

Before I bought the mod'd Oppo I would have agreed with you completely. However, after having owned the EVS level 2 mod'd Oppo 970 I've changed my way of thinking.

It is a shockingly good cd player. I have a well regarded non-OS DAC in the house, and I can say without a doubt that the mod'd Oppo is better when using it's internal DAC than it is when used as a transport with my external DAC.

Honestly, I'm frugal to a fault (ask my wife!). I typically only buy equipment when I know I can resell it for little/no loss. I took a chance on the mod'd Oppo and couldn't be happier. Absolutely no buyers remorse.

Enjoy,

TIC
In most cases, adding an external DAC box is redundant, and introduces more noises, cabling, connectors, circuitry etc.. You will get ALOT more performance with the mods to the players internal DAC/Analog output section versus adding an external DAC box with stock circuitry. Plus you need to spend extra money on power and digital cabling, for what? a small improvment in sound? The mods bring a ton more improvement across the board (and minialize circuitry as well) for considerably less money spent.
Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I was inclining toward Celtic66's argument but Ruebent's enthusiastic endorsement has intrigued me into exploring the EVS mods.
Jgacalo,

If you are near Cincinnati you are welcome to stop by for a listen. Otherwise, Ric does provide a money back policy if you send him a new unit for modding.

Ric is located near San Jose, Ca. He may be able to hook you up with someone in your area for a listen. He seems like a really nice guy, so it couldn't hurt to ask.

I do want to caution you that it is a consumer grade product as stated by Celtic. But if you are OK with that knowledge, it's a very good sounding player. If that concerns you, then buying an external DAC or dedicated CD player may make you more comfortable.

Enjoy,

TIC