Modify Oppo 980 or add External DAC?

Will adding an external DAC to an Oppo 980 bring the same type of audio improvement as internal mods?
Ag insider logo xs@2xjgiacalo

Showing 3 responses by reubent

Celtic66,

I agree with you conceptually, however I own an EVS level 2 mod'd Oppo 970 and all I can say is WOW! It is a really incredible player. I'm seriously considering buying a backup unit to use for parts in the even that the original unit fails.

I've owned some very good and pretty expensive players over the years. I've also owned some pretty nice DACs. The EVS mod'd Oppo was the first unit I've ever stuck in one of my systems that actually transformed the system vs just adding an incremental improvement. It made my modestly inexpensive system sound like a completely different beast.

I understand both sides of this argument and could understand the logic of adding a DAC vs modding the unit, but I am very comfortable with recommending the EVS mods if you are interested in that type of setup. One potential benefit of the mod'd unit is that the variable volume control allows you to attach the mod'd Oppo directly to a power amp if you have a single source system. Even though it is in the digital domain, I don't think the volume control works on the coax output.

Enjoy,

TIC
Ben,

Before I bought the mod'd Oppo I would have agreed with you completely. However, after having owned the EVS level 2 mod'd Oppo 970 I've changed my way of thinking.

It is a shockingly good cd player. I have a well regarded non-OS DAC in the house, and I can say without a doubt that the mod'd Oppo is better when using it's internal DAC than it is when used as a transport with my external DAC.

Honestly, I'm frugal to a fault (ask my wife!). I typically only buy equipment when I know I can resell it for little/no loss. I took a chance on the mod'd Oppo and couldn't be happier. Absolutely no buyers remorse.

Enjoy,

TIC
Jgacalo,

If you are near Cincinnati you are welcome to stop by for a listen. Otherwise, Ric does provide a money back policy if you send him a new unit for modding.

Ric is located near San Jose, Ca. He may be able to hook you up with someone in your area for a listen. He seems like a really nice guy, so it couldn't hurt to ask.

I do want to caution you that it is a consumer grade product as stated by Celtic. But if you are OK with that knowledge, it's a very good sounding player. If that concerns you, then buying an external DAC or dedicated CD player may make you more comfortable.

Enjoy,

TIC