Creedence on vinyl

Should I go with the Analogue Productions box set or start collecting near mint/mint original pressings and if so which ones are the good ones to look for? I've heard Green River from Analogue Productions and it sounded very very sweet. 

Thanks for any suggestions!

128x128blue_collar_audio_guy

It really depends on what you prefer. Steve Hoffman gives you the clarity of hearing the instruments as they were recorded, while the original releases have that familiar punch we've all come to love.

While I thoroughly love those original releases, listening to Audio Fidelity is a truly amazing experience.

Most Steve Hoffman remasters are the same and generally have a low level so there is no chance of clipping.

I look at it this way. I've thoroughly loved those original releases and always will, but now I'm ready to hear everything as recorded and marvel at the pristine sound.

The 50th anniversary half speed pressed at Abbey Road Studios is a gem. I believe it’s available as a box set or by individual album. 

Came across Gray/Hoffman’s Analogue Productions vinyl pressing of Green River at a record store a few years back in NM condition.  Considering how spendy those pressings are now and that the owner of the store gave me deals on used vinyl frequently (as I was in there spending money almost daily) and how eager I was for quality Creedence vinyl, (I’m constantly buying and ultimately parting with sub-par original-pressing Creedence vinyl) I had to buy it.

I love it.  Awesome music (obviously) and awesome sound.  Those pressings are just so darn expensive.  I have an original-vinyl self-titled LP that sounds pretty good, but I don’t know how many original vinyl pressings of Cosmo’s Factory (my fave) I’ve gone through.  Often they look good but sound beat, or have a veiled, muddy sound. This is a ‘60s-era vinyl catalog I rarely find in good shape.

My system is Clearaudio Concept Wood w/Satisfy Carbon Fiber tonearm & Clearaudio MC Concerto v2 cartridge, Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+ phono stage, fully recapped/restored Marantz 2285b, and Usher CP-6311 (with plenty of lead shot in compartments) floor-standers.  Very neutral, balanced analog system, where good vinyl pressings can sound glorious.

I’ll probably keep grabbing original Fantasy pressings where I find ‘em, but I should probably just acquire the Gray/Hoffman pressings and be done with it.

A friend of mine recently went to Norman Petty studios.  They don’t let you take video in the tour, but his wife took a quick video and I got to see it.

This made me want to get some quality Buddy Holly vinyl.

After some internet research, I decided to get the Steve Hoffman ‘85 From the Original Tapes vinyl pressing.

Not sure why, but the sibilance was unbearable.  Everything else sounded wonderful, but the sibilance was just way too much.  Not sure if the Discogs seller merely visually-graded it, if someone had played a bum stylus on it, or if I just got a bum pressing, but that proved disappointing.  

Wondering if anyone else had any issues with that or any other Hoffman pressings.