Speakers need to be placed close to back wall. Help

Hello all,

I want to buy my daughter and her husband a house-warming gift of a nice stereo. The problem is that the room they will probably want the stereo in simply won’t allow speakers to be place more than about 6-8" from the back wall. Any ideas of manufacturers and/or models that might work for them?

They listen to all kinds of music and I want to stay below 4K for used speakers.

Thanks in advance.

russ

Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler

Vandersteen 2Ce models have a rear-facing 10" acoustic coupler that is designed to enhance bass response. They are designed to be positioned close to the front wall (4-10").  My setup was an equilateral triangle, 30* toe-in, 6 feet apart, listening seat 6 feet from each speaker. 

Russ, I have recently added a pair of Buchardt Audio S400 MkII speakers, and have them about 10” from the wall and sound amazing. They have a rear passive radiator, and their website says they can be placed close to the wall…..about $2,050 per pair, free shipping, and a 45 day audition period with a $100 restocking fee if you decide to return them. Worth the audition for sure

VTHOKIE

Thank you so much for that recommendation. I have checked out their website and many reviews and I really like what I see and hear. My daughter is an architect who spent time in Denmark studying and she might really like the design features as well. Great work and keep on listening in the “free world!”

Rustler, glad to lend a hand. I know during my research, I got a ton of great tips here at Audiogon that helped me narrow down some options and save a ton of time. The veneers are beautiful, I have the Rosewood veneer.....but I've seen the Walnut too, and it was gorgeous.