Focal Scala or Diablos with subs?

Hi all,

was looking for some advice discussion regarding a potential upgrade/purchase that I am considering.

I currently own a pair of Focal Diablos which I have had for around 6months. Amplifier is Musical Fidelity AMS Primo pre amp / AMS35P 35w class A amp. Source is Linn Akurate DS streamer.

Room size is fairly small, 4mtr x 4mtr x 2.4mtr ceiling, carpet floor brink render walls. Listening position is about 2.5mtr from the fronts. I also use the Diablos as part of my HT set-up.

I am very happy with the sound quality that the Diablos give me & feel that they suit the size of the room quite well. Synergy with the MF gear is good, the warmth of the a-class amp fits well with the detailed nature of the Focals, nice & silky. At times however I do feel that they lack a little in the bottom end.

Recently had a chance to listen to a pair of Scalas which a local dealer has as trade in, was very impressed. Everything that the Diablos offered and so much more. They will push my budget but with a trade in on the Diablos it can be done (& please don't start talking about the Maestros!!!)

However I have just started using my JL Audio F110 sub with my hifi & I have to say that it has made me stop & think. I can appreciate that the bass is not as tight or as perfectly integrated as the Scalas but it would be a lot cheaper to buy one more sub than stretch for the Scalas. It would also have the added advantage of beefing up the sub section of my HT set-up.

So questions are:
1) Thoughts on comparison of Scalas to Diablos/subs
2) Suitability of Scalas to room size
3) Suitability of Scalas in a HT set-up (I use the same speakers for both)
4) Suitability of AMS35P 35watt class A amp to run the Scalas (won't be able to change the amp any time soon, have been told that it should be more than adequate)

TBH I already feel that the Scalas are the way to go, they pretty much blew me away when I listened to them & I think that the deal I can strike is great value. But interested to get thoughts/advice from those with more experience than myself.
neuphonix
Ok will wait for measurements, if there sharp dip at 150hz ther ewill be a bump in lower octave, I am quite sure about that (acoustical physisc)

So far better investment in sonic would be not second sub but placement and smoothing 150hz. Diablo is not watt puppies- those are the racers, some stereo subs( even not speaking about single sub) can not cacth them.

Of course better sub would not hurt either. :) But first and most matter-placement on room problems solving plan would be best.

About diablo placement on subs- you will get some vibrations from sub , sonic will suffer(imaging in first place) placement speakers on sub would be more benefit that harm only if sub works up to 120-150hz. Diablo have quite strong uppr bass so sub need to work only up to 60-70hz.
Has anyone experience with the Utopia series III (MKii) or Limited edition which has a redesigned crossover for the Hong Kong Market which were produced in limited quantities and better than the standard series?
You want to buy speakers which can give a wide and deep stage. But you use MF amp's ( I did demo's for MF and seold it many years. I owned a MF Nuvista)MF is a brand who are not good at 3d imaging. Brands like Pass labs are superior in 3d sound. MF are good in focus, but misses depth. Linn is also not so good in 3d imaging. 3 dimensional image is the most important and exiting property in highend audio.

If I were you I would try first to integrate your Diablo with your current sub before taking a final decision. Read this post for more info about sub integration:

SubWoofer Help ASAP...

If however, the upgrade bug has bitten you already, then I would proceed with caution. Please do not take this the wrong way, but for somebody into hi-end audio who's father is a sound engineer your knowledge is surprisingly limited. I will try to clarify my statement as it is not intended to be arrogant.

Firstly, there are three main advantages of sub-monitors combos over large speakers: 1) the ability to place the sub in the place that will give you the best bass response, and 2) isolate the monitors from the strong vibrations generated by the subwoofer, and 3) the ability to place the monitor in the room in the position that will yield the most natural midrange and the best stereo image. Placing the Diablos on top of the subwoofers will negate the first two advantages.

Secondly, unless your speakers are symmetrically placed with respects to all room boundaries (often not even then) the response of the two speakers will never be the same. The larger the speaker the more it will interact with the room. Now, because of this, and also because you mention that the position of the speakers and listening chair are basically fixed, it is more likely that a sub monitor combo will work better than large speakers. However, since every room is different one can never be sure of this. (The Scalas have the bass adjustment knobs so they are more flexible than "normal" speakers.)

My advise will be to try to convince the dealer to bring the Scalas to you home. Make a deal with him, e.g. if you do not keep the Scalas you will pay him by the hour. Also, I would not trade in the Diablo but try to sell them myself (but this depends on where you are located). The Diablo are rather rare on the 2nd hand market so chances are you will get a better price for them than your dealer will offer you.

Finally, I want to make a comment about (2nd hand) Focal Scala speakers. For whatever reason I have seen quite a few Scala on the 2nd hand market (here in Europe they go as low as 12k euros). I've even started a thread about this here on audiogon but did not find out much why this is the case. Probably just a coincidence...

Good luck and keep us posted.
Paul
I see you use an old Rel subwoofer. I sold these 10 years ago. For stereo they are much toooooooo slow. For stereo use subwoofers without bass reflex and the speaker unit should be single and placed in front. With Audessey pro I became fully stealth subwoofer sound with my speakers. Rel is always toooo slow. Wenn I use my own music you can easily here it is not synchroon with the speakers.