Your thoughts on selling

Hey, all.

I've got tons of vinyl that I never listen to.  I've sold in the past, but it was always a pain to grade as I never play-graded, but just visually graded prior to selling.  But...vinyl being vinyl, some records that looked pristine apparently was noisy once received and played by the buyer, which caused me to refund the buyer (both the cost of the record and shipping) putting me on the negative side of the dollar equation.  I also always told the buyer to keep the record.

So I'm considering doing this:  Sell the record but only ask for shipping cost and have the buyer decide what the value of the record is, with one caveat that shipping costs will not be refunded.  

Granted, some buyers will take advantage and say the Mo-Fi I shipped them was only worth 50 cents.  But I think for the most part folks will pay a realistic amount.

Am I being naive or could this actually work?  And by "work" I mean most folks paying a fair amount for said record?

Thanks,

Mamoru

128x128audiodwebe

If you are looking for an easy sale just sell them to a record store. They will not give you what they are worth individually but the process will be complete when done.

I would not have the buyer decide what to pay. And unless you really don't mind the headache of selling and mailing them individually, or you need the slightly extra cash (you need to also factor in your time), I'd agree with @bubba12 and sell them to a local store, or else offer them as one big lot on Discogs/Audiogon, you'll get a lot of bids that way. And it's no refunds, no exchanges on the lot. 

One other suggestion, if you have a few records with sentimental value, keep them for 'old times sake'. I got rid of a few that I ended up buying back, but it's not the same. 

This reinforces my decision to not go the vinyl route in my audio journey.. I still vividly remember the incredible feeling listening to vinyl in my early teens.. I am with @bubba12 A record store will take it off your hands. I took three big boxes of CDs to a store sometime back and ended up walking out of there with eighty two dollars heavier.. Looking back I wish I hadn't done that. Now with a nice CD player on hand I wish I had kept them.. 

@rman9 Stick with whatever format you are enjoying. I have records and cds coming out of my ears. Too much physical product. They convince you that there is a crazy difference and vinyl is superior. Maybe under the most perfect conditions that you will likely never achieve.

Here is the problem as I see it with this whole "hobby"; Unless one dwells with the 1% and can truck in really fine equipment through the years the old used components that I paid top dollar for are worth almost nothing now. At best pennies on the dollar. And I paid too much to just get rid of this stuff so storage space cost mount thru the years, To wit; Tannoy Rev3, Krell 2250 , Original albums water stained and played on 70"s turntables by small children and careless wives. But I persevere with class D integrated and Harbeth as best I can, Namaste Amigos.