Hint:  Change your Wi-Fi frequency to avoid interference with neighbors router

My friend was having annoying Internet problems such as start and stop, dropped signals, streaming pauses, skips, etc. In other words, a sporadic Wi-Fi connection on his Net-Gear router that sometimes works, and most times fails to work. Everything we tried failed to solve the issue (re-boot, etc.). And the strange thing is that the connection was working fine for many months and then suddenly stopped working.

After much research, and many phone calls, we discovered these kinds of difficulties could be caused by having another customers modem/router too close. We never thought of this.

All routers must operate their Wi-Fi network on one of several “channels” — different ranges of frequencies the wireless network can operate on. If you have multiple Wi-Fi networks near each other, and you probably do unless you do not live near anyone else, they should ideally be on different channels to reduce interference.

A very simple solution. We change his routers frequency from 11 to 6 and everything worked perfectly. I am not an expert on this topic but if you are having a sporadic Wi-Fi connection that sometimes works and, most times fails to work, you might want to investigate this simple solution.

hgeifman

@erik_squires you have not read the standard, so let me educate you: it is a standard for medical devices and how to protect them from spikes in electro magnetic radiation.

I could say the same to you. Fortunately the literature is in the public domain. The reason there is a medical standard is about leakage current forming in devices which patients are connected to, not surges. I don’t think this helps my audio sound better, but there is evolving literature that says isolators are better at preventing surges inside a building. An important part of your overall surge protection strategy. I don’t let my internal Ethernet or router connect to the network provider without additional protection. That means either gas discharge, air gapped optical fiber or one of these.

In particular, dedicated Ethernet surge protection devices which shunt excess voltages to ground, seem to have a negative effect and are more likely to enable dangerous lightning induced surges.

@erik_squires you are applying a standard to something completely unrelated, like vegan TVs. 

lightning surges mainly come through the electrical grid, and can for sure move into your home network if you are not protecting your switches from the grid. but directly entering into your network isn’t likely unless your house is directly hit. 

what the standard protects against is EM surges or interference, which primarily is related to power supplies. 

either way, not worth my time. The one topic I know more than anyone on this forum is networking. But people don’t listen and want to apply audio terms to networking, and that’s just not how networking works. 

If you can, run a Cat6 cable. Cheap and easy and better and solves your problem. Anything under 328 feet (100 meters) will work fine.