Best budget CDP?

I'm putting together a small two channel system based around a pair of Zu Druids and small tube hybrid intgrated amp that I got as part of a HCT HMS-100 package (same as the Vuum Audio VTi-B1 or the Dared MP-5 without the USB port). Also considering upgrading to a Onix SP-3, but that's a differnt story.

I need to find a decent CDP that would be a nice match for this budget system. $1000 would be my max, but I would really like stay ~ $500 if possible, but not if I can't get a nice sounding unit at this price.

I'm also putting a small LCD or Plasma in this room so a nice univeral unit would be even better, but music performance in paramount. Another consideration which makes a univerval unit an attractive option is that I would still have a spare set of inputs to add a TT down the road if I decide to get back into LP's.

Thoughts/suggestions will be much appreciated.

BTW, I only have BB/CC in our town, so I really don't have the option to listen to much and this is why I must ask for help. Used is fine.

Thanks.
jack_dotson
If you want a new one, then consider the Cambridge Audio 740c Upsampling CD Player.

List is $1099, but places like Spearit Sound have it for $999 with free shipping.

So you are $1 below your budget...LOL!
"I'm also putting a small LCD or Plasma in this room so a nice univeral unit would be even better, but music performance in paramount."

Say no more, Squire, get thee to the Denon listing here on Audiogon and scoop up a gently used DVD 3910 for approx. $500. Here's a good example:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1192641525

You'll not find a nicer player for the money anywhere. And, this unit is exceptionally versatile, it will playe EVERY shiny disc format except for the newest HD stuff (BluRay and HDDVD). I've had mine for almost a year and I enjoy it immensely...

-RW-
All of the Denons are awesome for the money. Even a used 2200,2900,3900 would be great. The 2200 is perhaps the best deal of the three and not a comprimise at all.
A friend of mine got Oppo 970 + used Monarchy Audio 18 DAC for $500 total and is delighted (he is a former owner of a few Stereophile Class A and B $2-3,000 range CDPs). USB DAC great idea as well with a small PC-based "transport".