New Rega P10 setup

So, I have been running a Linn LP 12 for a few years, I have upgraded with Mober remote power supply, new springs, Cirkus, Jelco 750 Arm. I have it mounted on a wall rack above my stereo rack. Because I do not have a means for someone to come in and properly set up the Linn so it runs "perfect", I have always thought I could be doing better, sound wise. Carts have been, Zu Audio DL-103 mkii, Soundsmith MIMC Star and Clearaudio Concept MC.

I pulled the trigger on a open box Rega P10 that arrives today. A total 180 from the LP 12. I'd appreciate your thoughts on a few things. Being that the Rega P10 is expensive and fragile, am I taking a chance purchasing an "open box" but saving $1,300.00 ?

Will the P10 require the wall mount to avoid the "foot fall" issue I had with the LP12? or could I place it onto of my stereo rack?

Do you think the Soundsmith MI MC Star would be a decent fit for the Rega RB3000 arm ? The Soundsmith site shows the MIMC Star working with arms 7 - 29 grams, but a compliance of 10.

At some point, I would like to purchase a high end cart, ie Benz Micro Ruby, ZYX or Soundsmith.

Current Set up

Pass Labs XP 15 phono,

PS Audio BHK Preamp with tube front end,

Pass Labs X260.8 mono blocks 

Klipsch Forte IVs

(Sonus Faber Electa Amator IIIs in rotation)

I appreciate your thoughts

128x128marktheshark

Rega Apheta-3 screws, adjust tracking force=ready to play.

Why isnt Rega's own high end  cart on your list?

If Apheta isnt enough Aphelion@$5500 

An open box product should come with full dealer support and warranty, so I think you have no more chance of a damaged item then sealed. Maybe less if it’s been inspected. As to footfalls, I don’t think the rega will do much better than the Linn, which is horrible with footfalls. You can try, but a wall shelf is a good idea. I persulike rega Cary’s with their arms, but Benz works well if you can get one. 

Post removed 

Thanks @chayro, I may have to keep the shelf, although I am trying to minmize things.

And thanks @tablejockey and @ojc. I agree, my first inclination was to in fact purchase the P10 with the Apheta 3 cartridge. The ease of set up, as well as synergy between the cart and table seemed the logical choice.

But, the cost savings with the open box unit, using my current Soundsmith cart, and then upgrading to another cart next year seemed like a good plan.

It comes down to spending the extra $2,500 now, get a turnkey table with the Apheta, and leave it at that. Or save that money now, use my current Soundsmith cart. And next year have the option to buy an Apheta or maybe something further up the chain, in the $4K range.