Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Hello frogman hope you are enjoying the summer so far.

As a "casual listener" of Brubeck I was wondering if you own the great album Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall 1963.

Morello drum solo (over 10 minutes) Castilian Drums is a long standing favorite of mine as is the whole album. Funny thing about the great Brubeck Quartet is many jazz aficionados do not like them.

Do you think its because of Brubeck’s compositions which have many variable time signatures like 11/9 for one. I have always liked the band and think the Paul Desmond, Eugene Write and Joe Morello are all outstanding professional musicians just like their leader Brubeck.

Lastly thanks for the great Max Roach clips

I must confess i dont like usually much many drummers solos.... These one are more music than "drummers solos"....This is why i like them Morello and Roach ...

Thanks...

I apologize for being provocative at time....

pjw, I don’t think it is the odd meter tunes that cause some to be luke warm about Brubeck’s music.  In fact it is those tunes that became his best known.  I think it is more the fact that Brubeck’s music had a distinct feeling and way with swing.  It was very much in the West Coast style of Swing, not quite the same amount of swagger and feeling of the Blues that East Coast Jazz has.  Some have referred to it as a bit “white”.  

Paul Desmond is one of my favorite alto players and for me he was always the main attraction of Brubeck’s band; a band that while not my absolute favorite, I enjoy very much.