Eminent Technology 8b Speakers - Amp/wattage Recommendations

I recently purchased a nearly new pair of 8bs. I am now looking for an amplifier. 

My preference is tubes over SS.

The room is 23x15x10 feet dedicated for music. 

I like to play music fairly loud at times. 

I will likely biamp, meaning whatever tube amp I end up using will receive a high-pass filtered signal and drive only the mid and high freq panel drivers. 

I am aware that Bruce T recommends 75-200 watts. 

I am considering two options, (a) Quicksilver KT monos with KT150 tubes (100 watts) and (b) another amp by a boutique builder using 4 KT 120 per side and 120 watts. 

My preference is option (a), but worry that 100 watts is not sufficient. 

I would appreciate any real-world experience on how many watts is practically needed with the 8bs. Are they as power hungry as I think they are, or is 100 watts more than enough? 

Does bi-amping make a difference, meaning one can get away with using less watts since you are driving only the mids/high drivers and not the subs? 

Any feedback or suggestions from 8b users would be appricated. 

Thanks much! 

jwr159

I would think it might be good assumption, but I’m not sure about tube amps. It would be better to ask tube amp experts like atmasphere.

@atmasphere Ralph, could you chime in? Does limitting low end allow to play louder? I know that with some amps, like class D Zobel network limits power at high frequencies anyway.

The ET8b is surprisingly tube friendly and if you have 100 Watts you should be good in most rooms. If bass is filtered from the HF amp then of course you can get more sound pressure, if there is also an amplifier for the bass.

IME doing this without an electronic crossover (whether active or not) in front of the amplifier is problematic. If you don’t have such a crossover, IME you’re better off just driving the speaker with the amp you have.

One of the founders of BAT, Steven Bednarski, was a customer of ours and had 8bs. He drove them with our MA-1s which at the time (1990) were 100 Watt mono OTLs. That is why I say this speaker is tube-friendly. Steven’s warranty form says that the amp was the best he had ever heard so I have to assume it worked pretty well.

So I’d just hook that QS up and play tunes! Use the 4 Ohm tap if memory serves.

Thanks everyone who posted and contributed to this thread. Very helpful and informative. Most of what I have heard is positive, and it would seem using the 100W QS will be a good match with the 8bs as I plan on using them. And yes atmashpere, I do plan on using a HP filter in front of the QS. I will contact Bruce T to discuss and confirm, but it seems like the QS monoblocks is the way to go for me.  

@jwr159: I’ve been away from home for a coupla weeks, and have been playing catch-up, just now seeing your thread. First, congratulations on your new speakers! And on your good taste ;-) . The ET LFT-8b is an outrageous bargain, imo one of the best in all of current hi-fi. Why most audiophiles continue to ignore it is a complete mystery.

Here are some facts that may help with your amp considerations:

- The 8b run full range is a pretty even 8 ohm load. However, the magnetic-planar panel itself---when used in a bi-amp manner---presents the amplifier with an almost purely resistive 11 ohm load, great for tube amps. Whereas Magneplanars (a pair of which in addition to the 8b I also own) present the amp with a 3-4 ohm load and therefore benefit from a solid state amp, the ET loves tubes. I’ll bet the Atma-Sphere M60 would sound great with the 8b (I sold mine before I got the ET’s), and I can also recommend both the Music Reference 100 watts amps: the RM-200 Mk.2 (which uses a pair of KT-88’s per channel, a real engineering feat to create 100 watts!) and the RM-9 Mk.2 (a quartet of EL34’s per channel). You can then use a solid state amp to drive the sealed woofer. As you must know by now (but some posters on this thread may not), the magnetic-planar panels and the dynamic woofer each have their own bindings posts, simplifying bi-amping.

- If you are going to not only bi-amp, but use your own subs in place of the 8b’s woofer (in pojnt number 3 in your above post you refer to "my subs") , know that the crossover between the woofer and the m-p drivers is at 180Hz, a simple 1st-order (6dB/octave) symmetrical filter. Very few subwoofers will play up to 180Hz (and above: remember, the x/o is 1st order), so don’t expect to be able to use any ol’ sub. Bruce Thigpen worked very hard to come up with a woofer that blends well with his LFT driver. As with all dipole loudspeakers, the ultimate woofer to use with the 8b is an open baffle design (why that is so requires more explanation than may be appropriate in this thread). If employing outboard woofers, you may simply leave the binding posts on the 8b woofer enclosure disconnected.

bdp24 thanks for the reply. 

Your are correct, I built my own dipole subs. They are capable of playing up to 200Hz. So I think they will mate well with the 8bs. 

As for the amps, I would consider Music Reference but they are hard to come by. I will be in Sacramento next week and plan on taking a drive down to Quicksilver and having a listen of the KT mono amps. Should be interesting/fun. 

I’ll probably get yelled at for this, but I had the LFT-8b in a small room (10’x20’) a few years ago. It was powered by a Luxman MQ-70, a rare 35x2 EL-34 tube amp influenced by Tim de Paravicini. Well, it rocked without clipping and distorting, easily into the 90db’s, maybe even 100db peaks. This was also considering sitting about 7-8’ away. One thing to consider is the added gain from a preamp, which is likely 8-14db, and room gain. Once you add all that up, it boils down to the quality of the current and of each watt.

Given the OP’s room size, a more powerful amp might be needed, but perhaps not necessarily.