What do you consider the most when choosing a pair of speakers?

Hi, just being curious here. 

When choosing a pair of speakers, do you consider design first? or the sound? or a particular brand? 

I want to say the sound matters the most for me, but my wife would never allow anything industrial looks or a design that goes against her taste regardless of the sound quality. 

What are your thought?

128x128monacousticusa

Well, sound. But what I have been looking for has changed radically over the last 50 years. At first it was slam, then ethereal treble, details and slam and now musicality with details in the correct perspective, midrange bloom and detailed natural bass.

In the most recent 20 years I went out listening to real acoustic music to align my senses to real music. It had the greatest effect on my values and ultimately provided the best guidance for me to choose the very best (that improved all genera of musics sound) equipment. This is what lead me to Sonus Faber for speakers… then helped me choose supporting electronics. 

Not every speaker can be equalized. There needs to be a few things in order to do it.

#1 Even off axis response.
#2 no dips and peaks from major resonances, cones or box.

#3 low enough distortion so when the bass is EQed up it does not fall apart.

I will not buy anything these days without seeing the measurements. But that is a starting point. I default to listening when possible

Measurements don’t show you how detailed the speakers is and there are still important measurements no one seems to do. 

Nice response. What’s the smoothing on that graph?

1/6 smoothing, that’s the average of 2 measurements, left speaker,  right speaker, centered on listening distance at 8ft with laser rule, no EQ.

what thoughts? - I think you're henpecked))) ...
sign up for a boxing school - your wife, mother-in-law and their dentist will immediately begin to respect you