How did you get started in this hobby

As a college kid, my roommate had KLH speakers, the Beatles Sgt. Peppers came out and homegrown Flemington flash came on the scene. My eyes were opened along with my ears. I visited a local audio store Audiolab and another not too far away Soundex. The effect on my listening, I was stunned by what I was hearing and how the management just let me listen to all the gear knowing I was just window shopping. I'll never forget Soundex( out by Willow Grove Pa)  letting me listen to all their rooms at different price points and more than a few occasions.One room had $30,000 each in electronics and $100,000 speakers. Well, I could not afford even the entry-level stuff but again my horizon was broadened. So off I went to NYCity with my roommate in tow. I ran into an audio store while he waited in the car and asked the sales guy what I could buy with the meager dollars I had. I picked up a pair of AR speakers, and a Dual Turntable, my roommate had an old HH Scott that was in his father's food store that did not work. I got it fixed for free by the teacher of the electronics class in my High school where  I would occasionally substitute teach ( babysit) to get beer money for college Thursday night beer sessions at the Extension bar.

Much later a fellow employee who was an audiophile got me connected with his buddy an audio salesman who sold me his Snell c2 mk.2 speakers and another of his friends who was looking to sell his Adcom GFP 400 pre amp/tuner and GFA 555 amp along with thick monster cable. Adcom was just starting up around 1980 and was thirty minutes away in New Brunswick NJ. For a box of donuts, they went over my gear and made some changes to the amp and preamp. I remember their CD player had a tendency to jump if vibrated that was fixed as well all while I waited for  just for a box of doughnuts.  Woo that was my system for almost 40 years.  I wanted something different, I found out about Audiogon and bought within a week a Technics SU G 700  and Canton speakers about two years ago at tremendous savings from local audiophiles one in bucks county near New Hope Pa., and another in Freehold NJ. That's my story. from start to finish.

Based on what I've seen here I am not an audiophile but someone just interested in listening to good music with good gear at good savings and who is intrigued by the character ( good and bad) I see on here and the stellar systems they have.

scott22

@curiousjim 

Thanks Jim.

My father's experiences map other people's grandfathers'. It is mind-boggling to think he was a teenager 100 years ago.  The changes he saw were mind-boggling.  He kept up with it into his 80s.  He left two diaries of his schooldays as a senior in the late 1920s which I treasure.

By good fortune he missed fighting in the two wars in Europe.  He was too young for WW1 and too old for WW2.

it is not important how you started (everyone makes mistakes and learns) - but how you finished ..... (the truth is - many have remained at the initial level and life does not teach them anything)

I live within walking distance to the conservatory - since childhood I have been listening to original music ... as for electronics - it all started with something like this miracle))) ... there was also Siemens

I was 15, I had a decent pair of Altec speakers and a JVC 40 watt receiver.   What really got me hooked is when I saw a Sansui AU9900 integrated amp for sale in the Want Ad.  My Dad had a Sansui CA2000 and BA2000 so I HAD to get that thing.  It was only a few years old and in really nice shape.  $200.  That was my gateway drug into better equipment.    Not long after that , I got a Sony CDP101 .    There were only about a dozen rock titles when I got it.  I was wondering if the CD would take off......

My HiFi life didn’t start until my early 20s, but like most it was a compulsive obsession with music, and discovering new music which got me started on the path.

As a child my grandmother had one of those sideboard type music centres whereby the top would flip back and inside there was a record player and radio. Apparently I would keep playing Cat Stevens’ 45rpm of "Lady ​​​​​d’arbanville" over and over and over again, and also "Where do you go to my lovely?" by Peter Sarstedt. I think I was about 4 or 5 yrs old at the time 😁.

Another watershed moment was sneaking into my friend’s uncle’s room at his gandmothers; he had a big system, no idea what it comprised of, but he had Dark Side of The Moon, Paranoid by Black Sabbath, Revolver and Sgt Pepper’s by The Beatles. That was it, I was off, mind blown🙄😎😁

That was round 10 or 11; I had various crappy tape players and my folks’ all in one type record players, and that’s how I listened. I was then given a Realistic, all in one record player with speakers at the front of the box which I had for a while.

When I started working properly, I saved up and bought a Pioneer stacked midi-system; turntable, cassette deck and with a CD platter that held 5 or 6 CDs at a time. I thought this was it, the bees knees 😁 as I hadn’t had any exposure as a young adult (early 20s) to proper HiFi.

I was then introduced to a friend of a friend, who had an elaborate Naim Chrome Bumper set-up, a Linn TT, (don’t remember the model) and I think some large, either Epos or Linn speakers, don’t recall what they were, but needless to say, another watershed moment. I had NEVER heard any think like it, total "Road to Damascus" stuff. He also introduced me to Jazz, which I hadn’t given much thought to prior.

After hearing this system, and being a young man with a decent job, no family responsibilities and some disposable income, my new found friend introduced me to his dealer, and a couple of weeks later, I had a bi-amped Naim Olive set up, Epos 11 speakers, an Arcam Alpha CD and Audio Alchemy DAC (I think it was the Digital Decoding Engine v1? - memory’s a bit hazy on this).

I was I audio heaven, a pig in muck. Move forward a good few years and I’d gotten married, bought a house and sold the whole system to go fund the house renovation. Two years later, we separated 😁. I will always regret selling that system 🤔🙄.

That was 2002, and I hadn’t bothered again, life got in the way. But last year, I jumped back on the bus - I was fed up of listening to my music through smart speakers and/or a DAB/CD player. A lot has changed during my HiFi wilderness years, but decided while researching to go all in on the digital/streaming front, plus a CTD for my old CD collection.

Had a few changes to my original set-up bought last year, and I’ve had a lot to re-learn, and still do have, but I’m loving the journey again, and rediscovering what my music sounds like played through quality components, as well as discovering new music on a daily basis via Qobuz/Tidal/RP👍😊