Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I think music is, ultimately and from the start, a musician language and all musicians are able to TRANSLATE one idiom to another one ...

Human culture in spite of his manifested differences is universal....Consciousness is one...

Then jazz, classical, or Indian or Chinese music are understandable by any musician on earth and by any listener...The greatest discovery of the last century was the inter-translation and influence between all specific cultures and revealing that in essence  there is only one with many communicating  facets...Then so much precious is the center of any tradition to be what it is, so much precious are the area of contact between them...

The musical interplay between playing a tune or a symphony , or improvising and creating a new one is a musician matter...

Music is musicians heart affair and there is no absolute frontier between lovers...

I think both Jazz and Classical are worthy and deserve respect.

That said , Classical was about God from around 1200 and was still that to the days of Bach, Mozart and Schubert and Brahms and many, many thousands more .on the way.

I love Coltrane {and his wife)but if he never told what his music was you not know what it was. Religious .

All I saying is Classical has thousand times more music than jazz ,

And until WW1 had more to do with society than other music or "music"

Seems irrelevant when I read both Jazz and Classical are 5% of music sold together.

My rich friend says the last Classical Concert will be Beethoven 9 in 2056 in Tokyo .

I say we’ll all be cooked by then . Excuse my bad writing ,

P.S. The Lutheran National Choir is very good as is a hundred others in the Twin Cities . No joke .

Classical Music and European history have a similar track.  When the Catholic church ruled Europe, everything was about God.  Or more to the point, their  interpretation of God.  The Classical composers followed the monetary support.

The combination of Martin Luther, and much later, 1LT Jimmy Europe, and the U.S. Army, NY National Guard, 369th Harlem Hellfighters Band, changed everything for good.   And for the good.

Cheers

**** All I saying is Classical has thousand times more music than jazz ,****

This is true; as is all you wrote. Important to keep in mind that Classical music has been with us over one thousand years if one includes its earliest forms while Jazz is barely one hundred years young.