Ditch your USB cable for Toslink? Might surprise you!

I recently embarked on experiments with an updated USB cable between an Aurender N100h and a Qutest dac. (cables were Pangea, Curious and DH Labs) Bottom line, it  most definitely revealed improvements but also exposed some flaws. So I looked into other tweaks to improve the chain...reclockers, decrapifiers and the likes. All these devices designed to fix inherent issues with USB. So I had the "duhhhh" moment and thought instead of fixing it....replace it.

I went out on a limb and got Aurender's UT100, a device which converts the USB output to Toslink (best option as the N100h only has usb out). I connect a modest Audioquest Cinnamon cable to it and I've been testing and burning in this new device and the input on the dac for several days now, Redbook all the way up to 24/192. And I must say I'm impressed, really impressed. I'll summarize my experience by saying it's just as detailed, but with a more relaxed presentation, no digital "grunge". This is the first time I've even considered trying the incisive filters on the Qutest.

I think Toslink is looked down on as a digital interface, but I'm seeing some big advantages to it now.

1.  You gain 100% isolation, it totally "air gaps" your dac from every form of interference. I've personally experienced some Bermuda Triangle kinda weird issues with USB and there have been lots of posts lately regarding this. Fiber puts an end to that....period!
  2. The price of admission is downright cheap, most streamers and dacs already have the connections and I don't think you have to pay a lot for a quality fiber cable.
  3. On some dacs it's generally accepted that the SP/DIF connections sound better than their USB counterparts. I've also read that disconnecting the USB cable from a dac, turns off it's internal clock and associated circuitry, thus less noise internally.....?? I have no clue but what I am warming up to is the idea that I want to stay away from USB. I've had great results with coax too, going back to my Theta and Sony ES days, but Toslink is cheap, allows long cables if needed and does truly isolate the dac. 

I'd encourage everyone to just try it, perhaps your equipment will respond favorably  like mine did. I'd love to hear other's experiences, especially Node3 owners. I'm planning on getting one for my office rig.

Tim

treynolds155

I'll have to check out this video, I've also read quite a few USB shootout reviews and I find them very interesting and informative.

So for the second time this week I get delivery on an open box bargain...that's brand new. 👍 The Wireworld Supernova 7 stranded glass Toslink cable sounds stunning compared to the Audioquest Cinnamon. Anyone reading this could pick out the difference in a blind test 100% of the time.

My expectation bias on this was low but I'd read very positive reviews, found a "open box" deal at Music Direct and said why not try it. So not only do we have the "it's just 1's and 0's thing...it's also just light. How the heck this thing can sound so different is beyond me but it's made a bigger difference than any other cable change I've tried, analog or digital. 

It's funny how when I have big expectations of new equipment/cables, I'm usually disappointed. And the opposite when I don't expect much. 

@treynolds155 I was introduced to WireWorld cables this year and I've been astonished how good they are.

WW Starlight 8 CAT 8 is a bargain Ethernet cable and the Starlight 8 Platinum CAT 8 is phenomenal in a higher price bracket.

@lordmelton Right! It makes me want to try some of their power and analog cables as well. Their USB cables always seem to be in the mix of cable discussions too. Audio Envy is another company that intrigues me, so many great choices out there. 

Digital cables most certainly do matter, I figured they did but never imagined how much. I was dead wrong!

folks here by and large know this, but of course digital cables affect sound... they are carrying analog voltages that mimic 1-0 step functions... at extremely high frequencies... ethernet and usb cables have wire pairs within them that carry those signals... in both directions, plus more...

I didn't mean to preach to the choir 🤐 I have read some pretty outrageous things from naysayers on this site though...especially regarding potential gains with optical cables.