Brand new Lyra Delos - skewed cantilever

Hi everybody, first of all thanks for the very insightful tips I've been able to gather over years of thread reading.

Today I am finally starting my own thread to ask a question about a brand new Lyra Delos I received this week. This is my first ever cart over 1K and I was expecting something amazing.

Well, the sound is indeed amazing! Even though after 2h30 of cart usage I am still struggling to find some meat to the bones. Sound is VERY precise but I expect it to become even better as hours go by.

However, as soon as I started aligning the cart I found the cantilever went slightly to the left. I have asked my dealer about this and he said it was nothing to worry about but I was hoping to get somebody's opinion on the forum, maybe even Jonathan Carr's. I have included photos.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

anthos314

It does to me too, was afraid it had been damaged. I'm now on my way to check antiskate. 

Yesterday I re-aligned the cartridge, tonearm was very very slightly off. I'll check with other records if the problem is still there but for the moment it reads the records beautifully.

I'll check with the problem records at the end. 

Tiny amounts of error in alignment are very unlikely to be audible, let alone the sole cause of gross misbehavior of the cartridge, e.g., skipping. I suppose gross over- or under-estimates of AS could do that, but the cruel fact is there is no absolute correct value for AS, because the skating force varies across the LP surface, from outer grooves to inner.  So most of us seek a happy medium that does not result in a deviated cantilever or "skipping" or other forms of misbehavior that we ascribe to the skating force issue.  It's not that hard to get there.  I take issue with what daveyf wrote in comparing MM cartridges to MC cartridges, implying that the latter require a rocket scientist for maintenance. The skating force will be related to VTF, stylus shape (as it affects the size of the contact patches), and the moment of inertia of the tonearm/cartridge assembly.  These all affect friction between stylus and groove, and friction does not know or care whether the cartridge is an MM, MC, or MI type, albeit we do find the more exotic stylus shapes on latter day MC or MI types, mostly.

So, all of this said, I am beginning to wonder whether there is an occult problem with the OP's tonearm related to bearing friction or the like.

Forgot to mention that I focused on friction, because friction is the root cause of skating, for the few who don't already know.