Eric Clapton Unplugged MoFi UD1S thoughts

Well...this has been one of my top five favorite records to sit back and listen to and also the 2011 2LP 180g US pressing one of the most impressive sounding in my collection. I felt many months ago when I pre-ordered the MoFi UD1S...how much better can it get?? Well, unfortunately...NONE! I just received my MoFi copy, played side 1 of my original and then to the MoFi and essentially no difference at all. I then went to side 2 and I think Lonely Stranger may be slightly better on my 2011 copy! What a let down. I have been very impressed with my other 6 UD1S releases. Maybe I have a ’hot stamper’ of the original?? Curious what others think when they get theirs.

dhite71

I’ve had two copies of "Higher" on vinyl that were defective. Returned them, moving on.....

I have the original CD, single disc LP, the 2LP Rhino mastered and cut by Chris Bellman, and the MoFi OneStep. 

While the CB 2LP set is an improvement on the originals in that it's bigger and more spacious, it's also tonally bright and the midrange a bit recessed. The sound stresses the strum of the guitar strings and robs the guitar and Clapton's voice of some resonance, making the sound tonally a bit pinched.

In contrast, the MoFi 45rpm sounds fuller, more natural, and more at ease. There's greater spaciousness in the midrange, and the top end is less tipped up, The whole presentation seems more real, and it's easier to listen to, to sit back, relax and appreciate. 

I love the album, but as relatively good as the Rhino 2LP set is, I have always had a hard time relaxing while listening because of the tonal imbalance. The MoFi is vastly improved in that area

Is the MoFi revelatory in that you'll hear new aspects to the music you've never heard before? Not really. It just gives you a better sense of being there when it happened. For me, it's a more enjoyable experience, and worth the extra dough. 

Thanks for your thorough assessment analogj

I will definitely be listening to the album more and will try and focus on the points you mentioned.  While I know my system sounds great it may have limitations in revealing these subtle differences.  

@analogj  +1

My copy of the MoFi 'One Step' EC Unplugged is superior in all areas to the other versions that i own, including the Bellman release. Superb album that really allows the soundstage to expand and bring in more information of the audience etc.,

Highly recommended.

Yeah, I'm surprised when I read from those who hear no difference. It makes me think either their ears or equipment are less resolved.