Classic Ortofon Cartridges: The MC2000 MK II or the MC3000 MK II?

So I have owned quite a few Otofon cartridges over the years, everything from the modest OM cartridges to a couple of Cadenza up to an A90. I typically enjoy Ortofon cartridges.

Now one I have never owned is the MC2000. It seems from a bit of reading I have done that owners of the MC2000 felt it was the most accurate of the Ortofon cartridges, and that releases after it were not its equal.

However, when you look at the MC3000 it has a higher output level that would allow it to work with my Esoteric phono stage. The Esoteric is happy running an MC200 on it which has .09 mV output. but the MC2000 is .05 mV. The MC 3000 MK II is .13 mV from what I find.

Has anyone spent time listening to these classic MC 000 series of Ortofon cartridges? I know there is also a 5000 and 7500, but those seem to be pretty rare.

Regarding the MC2000, I wonder if I use a low mass headshell if I can use it on the Dynavector DV505. I don’t think the mass of the arm in the horizontal plane should affect it, and the vestigial arm can be configured to be an appropriate match for the compliance on this cartridge.

I currently have an MC200u on the arm and its very surprising regarding how good it sounds. Its actually pretty neutral, pretty expressive, but just a bit relaxed in the top end. I certainly enjoy it, but I wonder how these statement cartridges from the classic Ortofon line will sound. These would have been from their long time designer who has now retired, so its a different era of Ortofon versus what their current offerings are. Even though we should acknowledge that the current cartridges use design principals that were developed from this earlier time period and engineering team. 

Thoughts?
neonknight

Dear @lewm @edgewear  : The grs. range in the LOMC VTF set up has a main function and is to mantain centered the coils. I normally run my cartridges at the middle of that range that in theory is de ideal VTF by the manufacturer.

R.

Thought I would add to this post. Still have the MC3000 MK II here, and use it on a Dynavector DV505 tone arm and Scheu Das Laufwerk No2 table. I also have acquired a MC2000 with T2000 transformer. Expert Stylus refurbished the cartridge and fitted it with their diamond. Still retains stock cantilever, and it is as close as you are going to get to a factory MC2000 at this day and age. It is mounted on a second DV505 arm on the same Scheu table and has a light Supex headshell.

First of all I absolutely love the MC2000, it is as fine a cartridge as I have heard. I might even like it more than my Transfiguration Proteus, even though they are close in overall performance. I use the MC3000 MK II as a casual cartridge, and am going to send it to Expert when this stylus is no longer viable. I have my reservations about who retipped this, and while it performs fine I would be happier if Mr Hodgson worked on it and gave it a bill of health. This cartridge is not as detailed, a bit more relaxed sounding, but has nice tonal balance. Not as dynamically insightful but still very good. An enjoyable cartridge that meets my needs.

I did complete a purchase of a MC5000 that is a Treasure Trove rebuild. Coming from a UK dealer that bought it for personal use and logged less than 100 hours. I am looking forward to it as the gemstone cantilever might provide a bit more sparkle than the MC3000 MK II, and therefore be an excellent alternative once the other cartridge is out of hours. The price was reasonable, so I thought it was worth the effort.

I seem to have a liking for these MC0000 series of cartridges. The MC2000 is one of my favorite. Perhaps a MC7500 can be found, but the current version on Ebay is quite expensive with unknown hours. Too rich for me to gamble on. But perhaps one day I will find one. But until then I can be very content with the MC2000. It is a remarkable piece of engineering.

I own both an MC2000 and an MC7500, both low hours and with OEM cantilever and stylus. MC7500 is possibly the most neutral cartridge I have ever heard, but I prefer the MC2000.

@lewm Well perhaps the Gods of Analog will bless me with their favor and a MC7500 in good condition will become available. I certainly will buy one. On Ebay the Japanese one is about $2300 or $2500 and hours are unknown. So I would plan for a trip to Expert Stylus right away, and by the time taxes are levied I am sure it would be a $3K purchase. With Japan being such a humid climate, I have seen lots of cartridges show pitting and other oxidation that is irreversible, so I tend to shy from buying expensive cartridges from there. I would much prefer the MC7500 to come from Europe. Maybe one day I will get lucky.