FInally I have a noise issue

Got a 5M 1/8” (3mm) headphone jack to RCA lead.

When the sound is not playing on the iPad it has low buzz coming out of the speakers.
And I’ve almost convinced myself it is picking up RF.

Other PreAmp inputs are mouse quiet.

Should I wind a copper wire around the thing and attach it to the preamp ground as a test?
Or I suppose a properly shielded cable is what is used??

128x128holmz

@holmz - RE:

Should I wind a copper wire around the thing and attach it to the preamp ground as a test?

Wrap a wire round the neutral of one of the phono plugs and ground it at the outlet

BTW - it could be the souce and NOT the cable

• I had a DVD player that caused hum
    • tried everything but still hummed
  • grounding the neutral of an input on the amp fixed it
    • the DVD player had an isolated (i.e. 2 pin) power supply

My Bluesound Node 2 causes a hum...

• i.e. IF, the phono stage (which is correctly grounded) is not connected to the system

Its a common fault with components that have any type of "isolated" power supply, like...

• battery powered components like tablets, phones etc..
  • CD/DVD players with 2 pin power supplies
  • (Some) Bluiesound products
  • many other products like the bluesound

Hope that helps - Steve

Its a common fault with components that have any type of "isolated" power supply, like...

battery powered components like tablets, phones etc..

• CD/DVD players with 2 pin power supplies
  • (Some) Bluiesound products
  • many other products like the bluesound

Yesterday it was the iPad with the only cord being the earphone.

Last night I noticed I also had the higher frequency noise coming in on the TV input.

This morning I disconnected the USB connecting the RME DAC (ADC) to the computer and the noise went away on all sources.

Next I’ll try and free up a place to plug the laptop into the same strip as the stereo gear.

Sort of defeats the purpose of a 24 bit ADC, when the noise floor is toggling over half of the bits.

Thanks @williewonka 

Seems this new-fangled digital gear isn't foolproof.

A bit like the fact that after 25 or more years of development internet connections still aren't stable.