Brand new Lyra Delos - skewed cantilever

Hi everybody, first of all thanks for the very insightful tips I've been able to gather over years of thread reading.

Today I am finally starting my own thread to ask a question about a brand new Lyra Delos I received this week. This is my first ever cart over 1K and I was expecting something amazing.

Well, the sound is indeed amazing! Even though after 2h30 of cart usage I am still struggling to find some meat to the bones. Sound is VERY precise but I expect it to become even better as hours go by.

However, as soon as I started aligning the cart I found the cantilever went slightly to the left. I have asked my dealer about this and he said it was nothing to worry about but I was hoping to get somebody's opinion on the forum, maybe even Jonathan Carr's. I have included photos.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

anthos314

@anthos314  Your stylus is a very small diamond which along with the cantilever tracks barely above the record surface! This is always a little odd looking at first, but the Lyra models exhibit this behavior…which is part of their design.Remember, you bought a Lyra as it is a high performance cartridge, as such it is not going to look or behave like a typical mass produced MM cartridge with a aluminum cantilever.

OP, It is a real shame the problems you have had with this cartridge. Nice that the manufacturer quickly stepped in.

But honestly, I do not like futzing with things like turntables and cartridges. This is why. My dealer loves turntables, and sets them up all the time. He is master certified in Linn and others I am sure. When I bought my last turntable we worked together to determine the sound I wanted and he assembled everything and installed at my home. He verified it sounded like it should. If it had not… he would have fixed it. He came over a couple months later to verify no adjustment was necessary.

While buying a DAC or other electronic (no mechanical components) is ok via the web (I still wouldn’t do it on a high end system). Unless you are a gifted person that loves to play with incredibly tight tolerances… then best left to people that do it all the time and are good at it.

Hi everyone, thank you for you comments and advice. I have taken the Lyra away from the turntable to have a look at the needle under a microscope. I also have a CBS STR100 record, I might use it to assess the state of the needle (if it looks fishy). After dropping the needle from the equation I'll turn to antiskate.