From separate streamer and DAC to al-in-one suggestion

I'm contemplating moving from my setup:

Lumin U1 Mini w/sbooster LPS -> Audio Mirror Tubadour SE III DAC

to an all-in-one unit. I will use it strictly as a Roon endpoint. Since there are no R2R NOS type streamers, I've been looking at the AK based ones, like

Rose RS150
Cary DMS-600/650

Also rest of system is Omega 98db speakers, Slagle Autoformer Preamp -> Oliver Sayes 421a based tube amp.

Wonder if I'll be happy with the latest sigma/delta dacs in a all-in-one type unit. Anyone else made a similar move to mine?

128x128kray

That T+A 3100 sounds amazing, per the AbSound review. >$30k!

I’ve been seriously considering the new Meitner MA3 DAC/streamer (Roon-ready endpoint) with volume control (so essentially a preamp too, though the volume is digitally-controlled). A simple all-digital system with the MA3 running straight into my amp. It’s about $10K, which is a big investment for me, but the DAC is the heart of a digital system, imo. EMM/Meitner says the DAC firmware will be upgradeable, so this box should have a good lifespan.
Meitner MA3 review

A Mola Mola Tambaqui is considered an excellent DAC with supposedly a great volume control. It has RJ45 streaming though when the unit is demoed at USA shows it was streamed with Aurellic streamer to USB.

I think it is ROON READY on the Ethernet streaming.

Edit: I just saw your budget post above. I would look at the SImAudio streaming preamp.

The Lumin X-1 does it all

The Lumin P1 does more (in terms of features/functionality, not SQ).

Less expensive alternatives?  

Consider Matrix Audio or HiFi Rose products.  

Maybe Cambridge Audio as well.

That’s funny, I just went through this exact scenario. I had a total of SIX components for my front end: SOtM SMS200 Ultra Neo streamer with upgraded power supply, Denafrips Gaia DDS, Denafrips Venus II DAC, and a Hattor preamp with vacuum tube line stage. Great sounds and I really have always loved Denafrips. First thing I tried was the streamer connected to a Classe PRE preamp (DAC built in), and although it’s an amazing preamp, the DAC fell short big time. Next thing I tried was the Rose 150B with the Hattor preamp. This was a step in the right direction. I had this for three weeks and I then tried without the preamp. Wow. Hifi Rose direct into my amp is so perfect. Six components replaced by one. It sounds insane, but the sound quality improved even more after another month. Very happy with the Rose into a Parasound JC5 running a pair of KEF Blades.

@patrickdowns

I used to own EMM Labs DA2 so I am intimately familiar with Ed’s work. While MA3 may have all the features you are looking for, you still need an external server to run Roon core. I encourage you to look into Merging Technologies +player. The +player has a built in VC, headphone jack and offers a distinct advantage with a built in Roon Core / endpoint. I didn’t think I could possibly do better than my pairing of DA2 and Aurender N20 ($37K - retail) until I auditioned +player. The +player exceeded all of my expectations from all-in-one box streaming player. IMHO, +player have no peer if one is seeking realism, transparency and details from their digital system.

I was going to recommend the +player to @kray until I read his post about his budget.