Connecting USB streamer server to I2s RJ45 input of DAC?

Can this be done successfully with an adapter like this ? Or is there more required? Thanks

Adapter

128x128artemus_5

Thanks @soix 

I was kind of expecting that. I have found a Sonnet Morpheus Dac which has the RJ45 I2s rather than the USB. I was leaning towards an Aurender streamer but they mostly have USB.

I'm glad you told me of the lack of standard for the I2s as well. If I understand correctly even a streamer with an I2s output won't necessarily be compatible. I believe Sonnet has planned to use the I2s with their streamer which is a Roon end point only (I think)

Nice DAC.  Yeah, if you want to be sure any I2S source will work with your DAC it’s best to forward the pin configuration to your DAC manufacturer and they’ll be able to tell you if it’ll work.  It’s bit of a PITA not having a standard, but it seems worth the effort given the potential benefits of I2S.  Plus, it’s kind of a shame to have that option available on a DAC and not take advantage of it. 

@artemus_5 Hi, USB and I2S have different protocols so that adapter will not work if you want to input I2S into your DAC.

What you need is a USB to I2s converter. I use a LKS 100 into my Musetec 005 DAC. It's inexpensive but really performs. You need a RJ45/Ethernet cable  0.5m or less, 0.2m would be optimal because the signal strength is very low, 300mV I believe.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/l-k-s-audio-usb-100-usb-audio-interface-pcm384-dsd512-i2s-rj45-hdmi-coaxial-out-dsd512-with-crystek

Thanks guys. I have a streamer / dac combo now which sounds very good when it works. Too many problems, too much frustration. I was hoping that the aurender would simplify things. I can use the Dac in my Teac NT505 but I'm not sure the aurender will work with the  Dac due to the need of a particular USB driver which is necessary to tun the USB.

My frustration level with the complexities of trying to stream my own library is very high. It would be easy just to forget streaming altogether

What are your problems with streamer to DAC?

FWIW, I use USB with all of my DAC's/streamers and have never had issues that made me tear out my hair.

Perhaps if you listed your equipment, or PM'd me, I/we could help. Streaming is pretty new, so things can get messed up easily.

Bob