Buffer amp no gain

I would like to put a buffer stage between volume control and power amp to ensure impedance matching. I like the look of the First Watt B1 but don’t need the volume controls.

My volume control is a passive ladder type with expensive resistors, silver wired etc

So my question is, can I buy a buffer with phono inputs and outputs but no volume pots. Either valve or solid state is OK.

bumpy48

Contact Bob latino, I'm pretty sure he can build you one. If it's really just an itch, amazon has cheapish tube buffers in their chifi electronics section. 

@cat_doorman

Hattor has a nice looking tube buffer meant to be used with their passive preamps. It might have some fixed gain though. I’m not sure if that can be defeated, bypassed or altered as an option.

I own one of those and they sound very nice. The default is 9dB gain, which really isn’t that much but Arek can build them to your specification. We compromised and mine has 6dB gain.

I spent some time trying to find a preamp with little to no gain, even started a thread on it here, but eventually broadened my search. While I didn’t need any gain, getting a little hasn’t seemed to hurt anything.

If you want a great sounding preamp with no gain, the SMc Audio VRE-1 C comes with 6dB gain through the transformers. However, I believe Steve can build it with unity gain as he did with my modified TLC-1, which I use as a unity gain buffer along with the Hattor passive, which provides volume control and other convenient functionality.

+1 on the Schiit Saga with tube buffer, especially for inexpensive systems. It sounds better than it has any right to at the price! 

My Cary SLP-05 is more organic sounding, but for the price difference, it should!

What DAC and what is the output impedance?

What volume control and what is its resistance and attenuation type?

What amp and what is its input impedance?

Balanced or unbalanced?

What interconnects?

There is nothing that is ’transparent’. You are adding connectors and cables, along with circuitry, all of which color the sound.

I ran [self-designed] passives for years, both in the studio and at home. I only went with active control when I tri-amped.

Looking at pictures of the inside of the First Watt B1.  Just Bypass, jump the volume controls with one wire on each pot.

I am another that is confused.  I am understanding that you would like to plug your turntable (phono) into this the First Watt B1. Outputs to your passive volume control.  Which feeds your power amplifier?  Question.  Where is the RIAA de-emphasis accomplished?  Output of a Moving Magnet cartridge is about 4 millivolts.  That is not enough to drive a power amp.

Ohhhh wait.  You don't have one of those turntables that has a built in preamplifier (taking care of the gain increase and RIAA) and maybe even USB outputs, do you?  The buffering you are looking for should be in that preamplifier.

Ummmmm.....