DAC Shootout Starts This Weekend

Okay...in another thread I promised to do a side-by-side evaluation of the Audiobyte HydraVox/Zap vs the Rockna Wavelight. Due to the astonishing incompetence of DHL this has been delayed. At the moment, I have a plethora of DACs here and am going to do a broader comparison.

I am going to do a compare of the Rockna Wavelight, Rockna Wavedream Signature, Audiobyte HydraVox/Zap, Chord Hugo 2, Chord Hugo TT2, Bricasti M3, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Weiss 501 and the internal DAC card for an AVM A 5.2 Integrated amp as a baseline.

For sake of consistency, I am going to use that same AVM integrated amp driving Vivid Kaya 45s. I may branch out and do some listening on other speakers (Verdant Nightshade of Blackthorn and/or Wilson Benesch Vertexes) but want to use the Vivids for every compare as they are the fullest range speakers I have here. For sake of consistency I will use a Chord 2Go/2Yu connected via an Audioquest Diamond USB as a renderer. The only exception is the Hugo 2 which has a 2Go directly attached to it. I will use a Roon Nucleus+ as a server in all cases.

My plan is to use the same five songs on every DAC; In a Sentimental Mood from Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, Be Still My Beating Heart from Sting, Liberty from Anette Askvik, Duende from Bozzio Levin Stevens and Part 1 of Mozart String Quartet No 14 in G Major from the Alban Berg Quartet. The intent is to touch on different music types without going crazy.

I will take extensive notes on each listening session and write up a POV on the strengths of each unit. I am going to start this this Friday/Saturday and will be writing things up over the next month or so. If you have thoughts, comments or requests, I will be happy to try and accommodate. The one thing I am not going to do is make the list of songs longer as that has an exponential impact on this and make everything much harder. If and when other DACs come in on trade I may add to the list through time.
128x128verdantaudio

Verdant, if you look at Michael Fremer's current "Associated Equipment" list, e.g. in his review of the Gryphon Commander Preamp, you will see he is using a SW1X LPUIII in his rotation of phono pre's. That company makes a model of DAC called the DACIII Balanced Classic. Getting your hands on one would be difficult. Too bad though. 

vs FPGA where you probably have one guy designing the chip.  Just fine when that person is Andreas Koch, Nicloae Jitaru or Rob Watts, but I would not have faith that any FPGA delta sigma will perform as well as any chip based delta sigma without knowing who the designer is.  

I would add Ed Meitner to that list too :)   I just picked up a MA3 DAC that uses his MDAC2 converters.   I'm actively comparing it to my Mojo Audio DAC which couldn't be much different under the hood but so far I would say they sound more similar than different.   What I really like about the Mojo's sound is pretty much present with the MA3.   There are some differences and that is what I need to figure out to decide if the MA3 will replace my Mojo long term, but overall I have two DACs that sound really really good to my ears, and they don't share very much design or implementation details...

Leia Meitner Audio MA3 on-line

Next DAC on the agenda is the Playback MPD-8 Dream which should arrive next week.  I have a used unit coming in and will spend a little time with it before we find it a forever home.  PM me if you are interested in acquiring it.  

@jeffreyw the best match with AC is supposed to be Pink Faun.  That DAC likes being fed from a server with a great clock.  I might also look at Antipodes.  What software do you plan to run?  BTW...I will admit, I am not a huge fan of streamers.  I very much prefer server and player as I feel it does a better job of dealing with a volatile internet and not introducing noise at the critical rendering stage.  

@chayro I agree and have been trying to compose a post that I think is succinct, informative an uncontroversial without blathering.  

@ddafoe I hear amazing things about Meitner/EMM products.  I have not heard one in person yet.  It is a brand I am exploring adding.

@fsonicsmith I just found out that my local rep for Clarus cables is also the rep for Gryphon.  Unfortunately that is a Brick and Mortar brand only and doesn't fit with my business model.  Love the products though.

@fsonicsmith I just found out that my local rep for Clarus cables is also the rep for Gryphon. Unfortunately that is a Brick and Mortar brand only and doesn’t fit with my business model. Love the products though.

I think you mis-read my comment. Quite understandable re-reading my post :-) I was suggesting a trial of the SW1X DACIII Balanced Classic. SW1X is the brand name. Based in England but with two US distributors. The "Balanced" does not refer to circuit topology per se. As I understand it, the balanced portion of the design involves an extremely robust output section built much like a power amp. I have owned mine for about a year and half. I ought to know more about it and back when I ordered it and waited six months for it I was more familiar with the details of the design but since then I just listen to music with it. Mine gets signal from an Aurender W20 with a custom built S/PDIF from Analysis Plus built with their Silver Apex wire. Music played through it sounds very much like my vinyl playback utilizing a modded Garrard 301 with Classic HiFi brass bearing https://www.classichifi-shop.co.uk/ with the Dobbins platter and Reed 3P, and Lyra Etna Lamda.

@fsonicsmith I will check that DAC out.  I am always interested in learning about new products.