Narrowing down the field (DAC wise)

Ive posted before and have appreciated everyone's help. Currently just R&R loudly, high 90's spl. Pink Floyd, Rush, the Cars, Def Leppard  Etc. Have a pretty good system. Mainly streaming and CD's. Equipment: ATI amp 6002 (just got after 7 months WOW) Benchmark LA-4 Line amp, Dac 3B, Audiolab 6000 CDT, Tekton Double impacts upgraded, SVS SB 4000 sub. Love the system, just curious about adding a different DAC.  (Actually very happy with the DAC3B)  Have been seriously considering the Denafrips Terminator2 (Top of my budget) also the Rockna wavelight. I'm older and like simplicity. After reading the owners guide for the Rockna and choices within, seems a tad complicated, where the Terminator seems much easier. Also with Denafrips having customer service in TX now, it makes me feels much better. Just wondering R2R sound vrs what I have and really like????   Have listened to the Weiss 501 on internet, very impressed!!!  However, price in not in my budget.    Any help or suggestions would be great. Robert TN

robshaw

I was in the same boat as you about 1 year ago. I think the Terminator would be a great choice (It gets stellar reviews online). My choice came down to the Ares II and the Schiit Bifrost II since my budget was not really high. I settled on the Bifrost II paired with the Freya Plus. I have been happy with the combination.... I also have the Tekton DI SE and these speakers were way at the top of my budget. haha

Listening the other day to a sound demo for the weiss501 in comparison to something else. The 501 shined (wish it was just a DAC) really opened my eyes and ears

What exactly did the 501 do that was better than your DAC?  This is critical information in making more informed and useful recommendations here. 

It is so difficult in defining Dac images. For some reason, hopefully, and accurately stating my opinion. When I listened to a piece on the internet through my crappy  computer speakers about the Weiss 501, the piece just stood out to me, it was SOOO clear, and concise, had impact, and maybe a touch (small) of warmth. The only thing that could be more accurate, is to listen to the same song through my system with my Benchmark , vrs the Weiss, but, as much as I would like, I don't see that happening.  I guess I'm looking for that musical Epiphany. Aren't we all. Thanks to all for your help. Robert

In general I trust The Absolute Sound reviews. From that it is hard to think the Denfrips would be a bad choice… assuming dynamic and detailed is what you are looking for. It sounds like a great deal for a ~$5K DAC.

Thanks for the post, ghdpprentice I do also. Pulling the trigger on so many good choices is tough. Thanks ALL for your help. Can only buy one, and hardly afford that.