How do you make a final decision on a DAC

Thank you all for helping me along the way. I've been trying to decide on a DAC for my 2 channel system. I listen to JUST R&R  60's, 70's, 80's more or less and stream from my windows based Pc Via Amazon HD (which I really enjoy)  loudly currently through my Benchmark DAC 3B, and my Audiolab 6000 Transport. Associated equipment:  Should be here this week after waiting 7 months, ATI amp, 6002, Benchmark Line amp LA-4, Tekton SE Double Impacts and an SVS sb 4000 sealed sub. Really enjoy.  A ceiling of 5K is somewhat available, # 1 choice is Denafrips Terminator 2, (a little nervous as once you order it's yours) Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 SE, Aqua La Voce 3.  Don't really want a preamp/Dac combo, just a DAC. Listen in a very large shop area with great acoustics. ( just by chance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pulling hair out at this point, what little there is.  Thanks as always    Robert TN   ps service is a big priority!!!!

robshaw

I had a Terminator and now have the Terminator Plus.  I found the best input to be the HDMI and use a Denafrips Iris DDC to change USB to I2S.  The Terminator 2 has the clock out to sync the DDC and it is worth it, but even without using the clock out the I2S is better than USB.  But, I did have a music server with I2S out that was not as good as it's USB, beware not all I2S is good.

The Terminator Plus is better than the original Terminator with any input.

part of the fun in this hobby is to scratch the itch... i am itchy like all the time ...😂

Well said sir!

Go to Audio Science Review and look at the test results. Choose a DAC within your budget with the least distortion and best linearity. No magicinvolved!

ASR is a great start-point.  Use this to short-list.  There is always someone who says try before you buy, which everyone knows anyway.  However, if you combine good measurements with good reviews and recommendations (and scratch that itch at the same time) then you will be fine.  

My current DAC is a Matrix Audio Sabre (from Xian). Ticks all my boxes: Superlative measurements, top ESS chip, does I2S, does balanced, does DSD, looks decent on the shelf. And after I bought blind: sounds totally neutral.

It is a ΔΣ so no scratchy scratchy sorry!

After trying a number of DACs - Chord Qutest (owned), Topping D90 (owned), Luxman DA-06 (owned), Audio Mirror Tubador III (owned), T+A DAC 200 (auditioned at home), Border Patrol (borrowed), Audio Research (GSi75 built-in DAC) and a few others -- I finally settled on Denafrips Terminator 2. IMO, it provides just the right balance between the so-called analog sound (think Border Patrol, AMT3) and the neutral/highly resolving sound signature (think Qutest, Topping D90, Benchmark, etc.). Plus the various filter options allow you to tailor the sound to your liking.

It does ’detail’ as well as any other DAC I’ve heard but without losing that ’organic’ touch that is usually provided by the analog-sounding DACs. I also feel that it provides the widest and deepest soundstage of all the other DACs that I have owned or auditioned.

May I ask how does the Luxman DA-06 compare to the Chord Qutest? The Denafrips Terminator costs close to twice the price of a used DA-06. I own the Chord QBD76 so perhaps I may relate to the differences between the Luxman and Chord. My main worry is the Luxman may sound too warm and rolled off in the treble in comparison to the detailed, wide, airy and 3-dimensional sound of a Chord.