Buying from Canada!

Hi,

I am looking to purchase used speakers from Canada. The seller has a flat shipping cost of $50.00. Will there be an import duty tax if the speakers are made in England and shipped to the USA? Thanks for any information about this!

This is the listing!

Falcon Acoustics Q7 Walnut New pricing | Monitors | Audiogon

donvito

akg_ca is correct. You may or may not get lucky with customs charges. This is why I've been advised to state items for repair on customs document, in my case this has been true statement. Recently shipped $1k item to Canada via Fedex, recipient did not have to pay added customs fees. The one case where I had to pay customs it was obvious package had been opened. I'll also reiterate with postal services its a crapshoot, I've had small value packages go through both with and without delays, couple terrible experiences with larger value packages, in one case package lost in customs for over two months.! Never again!

@carlsbad

great that you took the effort to research the CBP rules for importation into the USA.

” delighting in giving people bad news” ,,, really? .…, hardly the case, dude.

I already prefaced my comments that I had purposely not researched the rules nor assumed any reliance for anecdotal opinions under the new treaty for purposes of this issue and left it for the “Royal you” to do the spadework to confirm yay or nay.

why?

Simple: I’m not affected by CBP positions in general to import into the USA because (a) I live in Canada and thus totally agnostic to US positions , and (b) I buy and sell 99.9% on CAM and it’s related sub USAM.

And notwithstanding the purist rules, administrative positions applied at the border can - and has - varied depending whether it’s a private customs clearing via FEDEX vs UPS, vs a public government customs clearing with USPOST / CANPOST. The latter govt ones have given me unexpected favourable breaks that the private clearing houses firms have not .

I bought a used amp from Canada in 2019 (?) from a private individual. I got an $84 customs charge. $69 of that was to UPS for brokerage fees. Then afterwards, I got slapped with a Use Tax from the state of TN which was another $260. I now try to stay away from Canadian purchases because of my experience. I don't mind the tariff. But I hate the UPS gouging me on fees.

I based my post on the direct experience of bringing a made-in-England pair of ProAc speakers into Washington State and having to pay a $53 import duty because the speakers were made in England and not covered under the terms of the NAFTA agreement..

I agree that the rules are not applied consistently but it is possible you will be charged an import duty.

I have bought many items from Canada to my location in the US (NY).

Just about all low value items seem to go through without tariff fees.

Higher priced items are more often subject to tariff fees. My last purchase, a Brinkmann DAC, had FedEx calling me and the seller to provide all sorts of info and payments to allow the shipment through. Thankfully, the seller was very understanding and helped with the process.

So, @donvito , I think you should reach out to the seller and see if he/she knows what might occur.

B