Amp & Pre or Integrated for Dynaudio Heritage Special

Currently have a PrimaLuna EVO300 integrated and looking for something that would do these speakers justice.  Would probably prefer to go the integrated route but not opposed to separates.  The Dyns are extremely fast and somewhat forward.  Don't want to lose the PRAT which I love but need a sweet top end with good power.  

mdonda

I listened to both the AR I/50 and the Luxman Discontinued Class A (forgot the model) both sounded great with the Hertiage Specials   Very nice speaker

How close do you think you are with your current setup? The tube front end like your hybrid has is a good idea. Have you tried rolling the tubes at all? It should have enough power unless you’re going for broadcast levels or have a dead room.

With separates you might be able to get closer to the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove. It just depends on where you think you are and where you want to go. Do you need more iron or more velvet? A different tube type in a separate pre might give you more options. Maybe PrimaLuna isn’t as good with SS power as they are with tubes. Do you want to get a sub and run your speakers hi-passed? There are options. When you listen try to narrow down what exactly you are missing.

The EVO 300 I have is a full tube integrated.  Definitely could you more power but it's close with the right power tubes.  Maybe an interconnect can give the sound a little more meat on the bones, which is something lacking.  Also, I'm currently streaming and although it's a good setup, not sure it does the speakers justice.  Would physical media like CD sound better than a good quality streamer?  Not sure I want to venture into analog, but would be ok with trying a cd transport.  

Streaming or CD would probably come down to the DAC implementation. There are a lot of choices that cover the gamut. Maybe something R2R would give you the extra heft you’re missing with your current DAC.

Not sure why I assumed you had the hybrid. As inefficient as the Dynaudios are I can see the fully tubed 300 falling just that last little bit short. The more powerful tube types don’t seem to have the same sweet midrange magic as the EL34 though. Maybe the 400 would be just enough power, but doubling the watts only gets you 3dB more headroom. I still think a tubed pre with SS power might do the trick. Know anyone with an extra 100W+ amp of suitable quality that you can borrow to try it out? Maybe a Modwright or a Pass?

I auditioned the Heritage Special and Contour 20i. I went with the Contours; I did very slightly prefer the HS speakers, but it was close enough that I opted to save the difference in money. I power them with an integrated amp that many will consider a bit low brow, but it mates very well with the Dynaudio’s. It is the Yamaha A-S2200. The specs don’t tell the full story on how well it powers and controls the speakers, and has a great midrange and top end. Very musical with no harshness, and a fantastic phono stage. 

Not sure why I assumed you had the hybrid. As inefficient as the Dynaudios are I can see the fully tubed 300 falling just that last little bit short. The more powerful tube types don’t seem to have the same sweet midrange magic as the EL34 though. Maybe the 400 would be just enough power, but doubling the watts only gets you 3dB more headroom. I still think a tubed pre with SS power might do the trick. Know anyone with an extra 100W+ amp of suitable quality that you can borrow to try it out? Maybe a Modwright or a Pass?

@cat_doorman  

I love the mids of the EL34 so it defeats the purpose in my view to run other power tubes.  I tried the 400 but it generates way too much heat so it went back.  Currently have a McIntosh 8207 multi channel amp I use for HT, so may try to get a tube pre and see how that pairs for now.  This that would be a good start until I can find an amp.