Albums you do not get...a plea for help and understanding

So like most of you (I bet), I listen to tons of music.  But there are just some albums I never learned to appreciate.  I hope this thread can serve as a teaching tool.  I did not get Mingus at first but now he is one of my favorites.

Perhaps ending each post with, "What am I missing?" would be a good idea.

I will start with Graceland by Paul Simon.  Most of my friends call me crazy (still after all these years...OUCH that was bad) but I never desire to listen to this record.  I get the African influence and rhythm but it just does not impress me.  Alternatively when Peter Gabriel did the African influence thing I found it stunningly good. Paul Simon as a musician impresses me in his other works.  What am I missing?

bancsee

@emrofsemanon 

Really appreciated the Robert A. Heinlein reference :)  Stranger in a strange land literally changed my life.

and agree with you about Sun Ra...  I feel I should get it but I don't.

I like Dylan.  When covered by another artist/band.  I know, that's bad of me, isn't it.

I listened to and loved Springsteen for a good long time. The two Springsteen concerts I went to are still among my handful of favorites. I'd grab my guitar and bellow out his songs.  But yeah, he eventually got a little long in the tooth.

Not that I liked everything he did, but Bob Dylan remains a touchstone for me. There are stretches of Dylan lyrics that course through my brain almost daily.

The New Wave/Punk bands of the 1970's revitalized my interest in rock-and-roll.. I saw every one I could when they'd play L.A. My hair might still have been shoulder-length but I hated hippie-dippy music.