Albums you do not get...a plea for help and understanding

So like most of you (I bet), I listen to tons of music.  But there are just some albums I never learned to appreciate.  I hope this thread can serve as a teaching tool.  I did not get Mingus at first but now he is one of my favorites.

Perhaps ending each post with, "What am I missing?" would be a good idea.

I will start with Graceland by Paul Simon.  Most of my friends call me crazy (still after all these years...OUCH that was bad) but I never desire to listen to this record.  I get the African influence and rhythm but it just does not impress me.  Alternatively when Peter Gabriel did the African influence thing I found it stunningly good. Paul Simon as a musician impresses me in his other works.  What am I missing?

bancsee

Bands that are, or were, really big and popular that I can’t understand the appeal: Rush - my all time most hated band by a wide margin - words can not describe how awful I think their music is.

Boston - just ughh

U2 - first album is pretty good, and it went downhill from there, and Bono is just the worst

Aerosmith - again, just ughh 

For context, some of my favorite artists are:

Yo la tengo- Juana Molina - Califone - Willie Nelson - Talking Heads - Iron and Wine - Miles Davis, and many, many more

Hey @therobert,  I love your opinion on Rush's music.  I happen to be a Rush fan, but I have definitely heard similar comments from a few people, even from a colleague who happens to be from Canada.  😀

I have to say I only like their early stuff.  I stopped following them after the "Signals" LP.

I do not "get" the appeal of or like...

Rap... all of it

Hip Hop... any of it

Grateful Dead... not one bit of it

Springsteen... even a smidge of it

Bob Dylan... The Worst Voice Ever (like The Band though)

Any Hair Band

I like pretty much everything else.

@emrofsemanon 

Really appreciated the Robert A. Heinlein reference :)  Stranger in a strange land literally changed my life.

and agree with you about Sun Ra...  I feel I should get it but I don't.

I like Dylan.  When covered by another artist/band.  I know, that's bad of me, isn't it.