Cube Audio Nenuphar Single Driver Speaker (10 inch) TQWT Enclosure

Cube Audio (Poland) designs single drivers and single driver speakers. 

Principals are Grzegorz Rulka and Marek Kostrzyński.

Link to the Cube Audio Nenuphar (with F10 Neo driver) speaker page: 

https://www.cubeaudio.eu/cube-audio-nenuphar

Link to 6Moons review by Srajan Ebaen (August 2018):

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/cubeaudio2/

----------------------------------------

Parameters (from Cube Audio):

Power: 40 W

Efficiency: 92 dB

Frequency response: 30Hz - 18kHz ( 6db)*

Dimensions: 30 x 50 x 105 cm

Weight: 40 Kg

* Frequency response may vary and depends on room size and accompanying electronic equipment.
david_ten

@charles1dad Re: why the drastic change in direction from my Thiel rig, great question. Part of it is the old “been there done that” idiom. Having spent over 20 years with the CS5i’s (which initially were challenging to please), I feel as though I reached somewhat of a pinnacle with that system, at least within my financial means. Newer high-power SS gear has become very pricey. Second, during 20+ years of continuous improvement with the Thiel system, I never could get the speakers to “wake up” at low (or even moderately conservative) volume. On balance, they did achieve a pretty awesome result IMO when listening at higher volume. Lastly, I have always longed to experience the wetter and more harmonically natural tube sound. The CS5i’s are 87 db efficient and dip to nearly 2 ohms in the lower frequencies. Amp killer. I never felt tube amplifiers were viable with them (although I remain convinced that they would benefit greatly from what good tubes bring sonically). I must say I never experienced reliability issues with robust SS amplifiers (Krell and early-gen Classe Audio). As an aside, I clearly recall listening (alone) in just my underwear when I had the Class A-biased Krell FPB 600c in the rig due to the incredible heat that amp generates.

Hopefully the NAT Audio integrated will soon be healthy to begin my tube journey. In the meantime, the SIT-2, being a known entity with the Nenuphars, should provide me with a baseline to ground my exploration into tubes driving the V2’s.

One of the reasons I prefer the compression driver front horn design over the full range is the ability to play at very low levels while still sounding articulate and powerful. The full ranges still are better than most low eff dynamic designs in their ability to sound good at low levels. If wanting low power amplification with all its benefits but its limits in output a full range or horn or both can really produce synergy with such. After all, it's a system we listen to and synergy is the goal.

@johnk “After all, it's a system we listen to and synergy is the goal.” 

Very true.

@dlcockrum 

Your NAT Audio HPS amplifier is very intriguing. NAT has a reputation for their own in house high quality output transformers. Their electronics are highly regarded. Your amplifier to my understanding is 50 watt SET via the GM 70 tube but can be switched to 15 watt power mode. I'm very curious as to which power mode you'll find to sound better with the Nenuphar. NAT is a proven audio product beyond any shadow of doubt. I think that you are in store for quite an exceptional musical journey.

Charles