Cube Audio Nenuphar Single Driver Speaker (10 inch) TQWT Enclosure

Cube Audio (Poland) designs single drivers and single driver speakers. 

Principals are Grzegorz Rulka and Marek Kostrzyński.

Link to the Cube Audio Nenuphar (with F10 Neo driver) speaker page: 

https://www.cubeaudio.eu/cube-audio-nenuphar

Link to 6Moons review by Srajan Ebaen (August 2018):

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/cubeaudio2/

----------------------------------------

Parameters (from Cube Audio):

Power: 40 W

Efficiency: 92 dB

Frequency response: 30Hz - 18kHz ( 6db)*

Dimensions: 30 x 50 x 105 cm

Weight: 40 Kg

* Frequency response may vary and depends on room size and accompanying electronic equipment.
david_ten

Thank you David for both the warm introduction and your patient guidance in selecting and sourcing the Nenuphar V2s.

It has taken quite a bit longer than I originally planned to get the all new system in place. First was Axpona 2022 delaying the shipment of the new Nenuphars. Best laid plans and all that…

Then, my first choice for amplification, a NAT Audio Single HPS integrated amp failed to operate properly during testing at the distributor and is currently stranded with the hood up awaiting parts. Fortunately @rwpollock posted here a few days ago that he was parting with his First Watt SIT-2 and I snatched it up (thanks Bob!). Very fortuitous, except that I have no appropriate external preamp solution at present (since the NAT Audio integrated needed none), so I am temporarily limited to driving the SIT-2 directly from the single ended outputs of the Meitner MA3, also new to me, using its (reportedly excellent) VControl digital volume control.

The SIT-2 arrived this afternoon and I am now listening to the rig for the first time as I write. First thing that strikes me is the very satisfying bass performance from the Nenuphars. Next is the enormous soundstage and the sense of true depth and proportionate spatial relationship between instruments and performers.

Not all is peachy yet of course. The V2 drivers, being brand spanking new, are still way tight, lack top end airiness/open-ness and overall dynamics, especially in the treble region, sounding overly polite thus lacking essential sparkle. I am expecting some improvement in these areas as the drivers loosen up and everything settles in, but I am thinking that a true active preamp addition to drive the SIT-2 is already proving mandatory.

I have my old Ayre K-1xe preamp in storage but really wish to employ tubes this time around. Suggestions anyone?

<<The V2 drivers, being brand spanking new, are still way tight, lack top end airiness/open-ness and overall dynamics, especially in the treble region, sounding overly polite thus lacking essential sparkle. I am expecting some improvement in these areas as the drivers loosen up and everything settles in...>>

My V1s took awhile; the sound improved after about 50 hours, and the magic happened at 95 hours.

@rwpollock Gotcha. Later last night I found that the sound is considerably better with the polarity reversed at the SIT-2s output terminals. Nelson touches on this in the manual but I found the wording ambiguous, perhaps encouraging experimentation.

@dlcockrum

Congratulations on acquiring the Nenuphars and the First Watt S.I.T. amplifier. In my opinion you have established an excellent foundation to build an audio system around (I believe the NAT audio amplifier an equally good option as well). I have zero doubt that your sound quality will only improve with accumulation of playing time hours. I’m very interested to know how you find this direction compared to your former Thiel speakers-Classe Audio amplifier based audio system. Polar ends of the audio component spectrum.☺

Charles

Built at least 100 full-range driver speakers. While I do prefer multiway horns with compression drivers a true full-range in proper cabinets has a certain something that's hard to ignore. What I use now is a pair of ultra-rare Fostex fe208 sol special editions in massive bottom-firing blh these can play pipe organ with authority and have bass tested to 30hz. It's wonderful having true full-range performance out of 1 driver. Not a weak thin sound like many full-range systems produce. But the ability to play any music type inc bass-heavy at loud SPL levels without breakup. This is something that eludes most all full-range driver loudspeakers.