Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker - Sounds Worse?

I picked up a Phoenix USB Reclocker, mint condition store demo.  I think this must be the first of many, many reports where the Phoenix does NOT seem to improve the sound.  So many posts and review after review indicate positive results with this device added to systems.  I’ve not seen one single account where the results weren’t clearly superior.  Yet that seems to be the case for me, sadly!  

My system:

• Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC module
  • Innuos Zenith Mk 3 with Roon/Tidal HiFi
  • Innuos Phoenix Reclocker
  • AudioQuest Hurricane Source power cords connected to a Niagara 1200 conditioner 
  • AudioQuest Dragon High Current power cord connected between my amp and the wall
  • Two AudioQuest Diamond USB cables
  • Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables
  • B&W 803 D2 speakers

Adding the reclocker makes the sound more constrained, tighter, with less separation, and is generally less engaging.  This seems to be almost the opposite of 100% of everyone else’s experiences.  I thought maybe the new USB cord needed to be broken in (it’s been 40 hours now) but I don’t think it could be this much worse prior to completing the breakin.  And the Reclocker was a demo so in theory it should be broken in.

Some may theorize that my Gryphon DAC may be better and that the Reclocker is dragging my DAC down instead of elevating it.  But that logic I don’t think makes sense, because the Phoenix reclocker tech is included in Innuos’ top Uber expensive Statement.  I can’t imagine that the Statement in my system would sound worse than my Zenith Mk III which is less than half the cost!

Not sure what’s up…  I will give it another few days and then contact Innuos to see if they have any thoughts.

nyev
Post removed 

The Phoenix should’t be switched off. It takes up to 48h for the Ocxo clock to settle. Have you tried to replace the fuse with something decent? Also: use a very short USB cable between Phoenix and dac, ideally 1ft. Finally, try lifting ground on the Phoenix, you may have a ground loop.

I had very similar experience when adding audiophile switch to my streaming setup. Overly precise outline of images, cookie cutter like. I also experienced similar constraint, less engaging sound quality, much less natural, excessively analytical. The only upside was a bit more detail, downsides far outweighed this small gain.

I've theorized there may be situations in which there may be excessive clocking and/or mismatched clocks in streaming chain. I recall reading John Swenson white paper over at audiophilelifestyle in regard to mismatched clock issues.

I haven’t used the Phoenix reclocker, so this is just opinion...but I have used many other reclocking devices over the years.

I read the specs for the Diablo 300 DAC module, and its pretty slick.

If you use the module’s USB input, I think you’re already reclocking once.

There’s probably no need to add the Phoenix.

Dave

Thanks all.  @dpetr, maybe you are right.  I’ve seen this question come up about the Phoenix before, where the question is raised as to whether the Phoenix is redundant with some DACs.  But many people have said the Phoenix seems to improve sound across any DAC at all.  I’ve seen a few discussions speculating as to why that is.  And again, considering this reclocker tech is also in the expensive Statement, I can’t see how it should actually degrade my sound…

I’ll try the few things mentioned here, wait a few days to see if things settle, and then contact Innuos if it still doesn’t sound great to see if they have any ideas.

Last resort I will have a Phoenix reclocker, Hurricane source power cord, and Diamond USB cable for sale to help find my speaker upgrade….