Is This the Essence of "The Audiophile Dilemma?

"But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for..."

ps

I sure hope that is not the case for most audiophiles, if not for all. The key is to refine your preferred audio sound as you keep moving up over the years.

I was fortunate to learn with, and patronize real audio shops in the late 70s, 80, 90s, and on, until the gradual decline of brick and mortar stores. I’m not sure how I’d have ever learned what my ears now know without those stores and guys. Now, good high end shows can help; and losing RMAF makes me cringe.

And if you still can’t find the sound you are looking for after a long time, your process for looking/listening may be off, or your preferences are a moving target (good luck if that’s the case-sounds like a revolving door inventory of gear).

Over the years I worked on speaker and component upgrades as funds permitted and finally truly found the sound/speakers (and electronics) I love and can happily keep in retirement with no real yearning to upgrade. Still, I can think of better versions of my system, usually moving up the speaker line one prefers, or smart electronic component upgrades. But I don’t worry at all now.

And, even with my systems of the late 90s and over the next 20 years, I’ve never been unhappy and ‘still looking’ at any time (save one or two gross system mismatches based on buying used without hearing or understanding the sound). I did move from ML electrostats to Dyne Sapphire 3-way dynamic speakers but got lucky and settled on smaller 2½-way used speakers that are much more refined. Happy and done but would take the next larger model if offered a pair…

The constant craving can end, honest.

Post removed 

Poor widdle audiophiles.  Problems problems.   The world ain’t fair.  😢

Seems as if some of the comments posted during and after happy hour, or perhaps other recreational substances, have a rather different tone than those from earlier in the day. :)

This has been an informative thread for me, so thanks again to everyone who has posted.

@ps - I forgot to add that to have the greatest success you have to start at the speakers AND the source since nobody can agree on where to start. Focusing on everything is always the best policy.

Also, I’ve noticed that if someone asks for an opinion on a specific item like interconnects they will get advice ranging from a specific interconnect to every other possible interconnect to needing to upgrade another component or tweak in their system to treating their room (aka @erik_squires) to everyones crazy (aka @jasonbourne52)

The call outs are intended in good fun, we all have our roles to play :-)