Buyer Beware

Audiogon has seen a number of fake accounts trying to rip off members. If you come across an item that seems very low in price and advertised by a brand new member the chances are it is a fake account trying to rip you off. My suggestion is to not attempt to buy from any of these accounts.

They have figured out how to get bogus tracking accounts from USPS, which look like an item was delivered to your house. Until you can prove that nothing was delivered, which can take time, you are out of your money. In some cases, the more that time passes the less likely you can prove this.

I’m not sure why Audiogon can not do a better job of filtering these scammers out but there are a number of ads up now that are most definitely scams.

raymonda

Not an issue for me.

NEVER buy from any seller on any site with less than a handful of feedbacks. I have turned down no feedbacks buyers left and right and sold a dozen items to multiple positive feedbacks only customers and never had a single problem.

I report these ads constantly.  There's a "button" at the bottom of each ad to report it. Do it when you see a fake ad. It usually takes a few hours to see it taken down but at least they're aware it's there and can see the zero feedback seller's other ads.

I buy local on Audiogon it may limit choices but no hassle. Both were big purchases for me both sellers were top-shelf people and a pleasure to do business with. I might add everyone on here that I've interacted with have been great.

Another good form of payment is using United States Postal Service money orders. This requires the buyer to go to the post office to purchase and when you deal with the USPS your you are dealing with the government. When you receive a USPS money order you take it to your local post office, and they can verify it before you cash it. I have never had a problem and it's nice to know the Feds have got your back.     And no PayPal fee!

USPS Postal Money order is NOT a safe option.  Somebody can buy a Post Office Money Order and then much like a Check CANCEL it before it ever reaches the person its going to. The Post office also reports to the IRS if somebody buys around 3K worth of money orders.  Because the Post Office doesnt carry hardly any cash (The Clerks only have $100 in their drawer at the start of each day) its HIGHLY unlikely you can cash the Money Order at the Post office because almost everybody uses a Credit Card these days to pay for their NON Money Order purchases.  So you have to deposit the USPS Money Orders at your banks if they are for large amounts.  The Post Office is Overseen by the US Government in terms of the raising of prices on stamps etc BUT they dont have much else to do with it.  Your Tax Dollars arent Funding the Employees at USPS.  If you think "The Fed" has your back in terms of USPS Postal Money Orders your delusional.   I retired from USPS in 2009