Anyone tried the original Playstation 1 for CD?

I read the story in Six Moons about the original Playstation 1 being an excellent CD player. Has anyone actually tried doing this? Bob
128x128baranyi
The Playstation 1's SMPS is actually good with the upgraded power cord and fuse. I chose an Isoclean fuse over the HiFi Tuning fuse since it is UL-approved. The dynamic range is noticeably better with the Isoclean fuse. A friend of mine who also uses a Playstation 1 for his digital source also installed an Isoclean fuse in his unit, and he started hearing more into the music. The Playstation does a great job at resolving subtle details. With the fuse upgrade on top of the power cord upgrade, I can hear a lot more of the interplay between musicians, especially where bells, triangles and other percussion instruments are used. Some background vocals are better conveyed as well.
I purchased one and didn't think much of it. I ran Purist Audio's Burn In Disc and was very pleased with the results. I am not a tweak guy but this is one tweak which works in my system. Bass is deeper and more defined.

Richard Bischoff
Okay, I know this is an ancient thread but I didn't want to start yet another playstation thread...

When someone says it takes 2 days of warmup to reach peak sound--is that simply being turned on or is that with the CD being played/read?
It takes having the Playstation 1 to be turned on for about two days. You don't necessarily have to play CDs. The sound just seems to open up after a full day on.
Just realized I left mine on by mistake for a day, and turned it off. Oh Well! Is it ok just to leave it powered up in general then? I am impressed so far, mine is only a few months old, and being used to break in a new system. It will be my only source for digital, just to break in equipment, and background listening. I paid $30, in almost perfect condition. Anyone try one of the aftermarket PC's?