Power Cable Break In - Such a Change!

I installed a new AudioQuest Dragon Source power cord from my Lumin X1 to my Niagara 7000. The power cord from the wall to the Niagara 7000 is also a Dragon but the High Current version. I bought that cord used.

So, when I first started using the new power cord everything sounded great. However, after a couple of days I started hearing a strident sound. Especially in the upper mid/ treble region. The bass was also constricted. I started blaming the sound change on another piece of equipment that was installed concurrently.

Now, I was under the impression that the Dragon power cord with its DBS system required no break in. But I did inquire about it to AudioQuest who responded that it would still need about 150 hours to break in. It's been close to that now and sure enough yesterday I started hearing the glorious sound that I heard from day one with the power cord only perhaps better.

I must say the difference during break in and now is quite remarkable, I don't remember any other power cord going through this amount of dramatic change.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

thanks digitalviper,

I probably have about 300 hours on the latest and final Dragon cord and it has transformed into such a quality producing component. The bass is natural and very deep and the soundstage envelops around. I swear I hear things even behind my head! (Even when I'm not drinking!) LOL!

Expensive, but once the foundation is set every piece of equipment performs at its best.

ozzy

Really? Bending a cable will affect its performance?? Wondering... how were YOUR cables delivered to you? were they laid flat on a 2x4 to keep them straight?... or were they coiled on a tight circle with a continuous bend and shipped in a box?

This is the sort of topic that drives me crazy and leads to needless worry about peoples hard earned investment in quality gear!

As we say in the bike racing world... shut up and RIDE! In this case... shut up and enjoy!

I don't know if bending a cable will affect its performance, but its probably not a good idea.

ozzy

Hey Ozzy,

Just tagged you on another topic (JL Audio CR-1).

As far as the cable thing, yeah.. probably not ideal with a drastic bend that could weaken the metal, but man...  worrying about bending a cable a bit that's designed to be pliable is overkill...

At any rate, I wasn't intending to single you out.. I just go a bit nuts with all the miro-detail worrying that goes on in our hobby....

hubbman,

Stay in this hobby long enough and the tweaking will get a hold of you. I think its fun, but I am retired now and have more time to fiddle.

ozzy