How much air does my preamp need?

I have a MAC C2300 preamp that I want to move to the living room. However, in the rack below the television it would only have an inch clearance on the top. Is that enough for a tube preamp? The sides are all open but the shelf above is only an inch above the unit.

wemfan

That's what I suspected but I don't know what I don't know so I thought I had better ask. Thanks geof3 

I have the same problem with my Einstein The tube preamp. I installed a computer fan behind the preamp, and tuned it so it runs without noise. It reduces the heat. But I also - unlike before - turn the preamp off when not in use.

There is not a single component in electronic gear that does not have a set of specifications on useful life that does not show decreasing life as a function of increasing temperature.  I personally would not gamble with running hot. 

At a local shop which only sells tube electronics, I talk a lot to their repair person and MUCH of their service repairs involve overheating, including some wild events like components falling off of the circuit board because it got so hot that the solder melted.  In almost all of the overheating cases, someone put the component in an enclosed space that did not allow for sufficient ventilation.

If you must put it in a place without sufficient clearance on top, you should do as someone suggested above--run at least one computer muffin fan to move the air around the component.  Regardless of the ventilation condition, it is NOT a good idea to leave tube electronics on all of the time--turn it on when one wants to listen; tube gear sounds decent after only a few minutes of warmup.