Is there a DAC ranking list?

This is a follow up from my previous thread seeking more definition and presence in my music.  Among other ideas, I was advised to get a new DAC and several brands were tossed out from $100 to $1700+. The world of DAC’s is large, and I’m wondering if there’s a ranking list for them, similar to Crinicles list for earphones.  I especially like the value ratings on that list, such as “Redefines the price bracket.”

Here’s a recap of my scenario:

I listen to jazz at lower volumes on radio.garden.com via my Apple iPad pro

My room is big, 20ft by 40ft, no carpeting or drapes, with a corner LP triangle

Apple AirPort Express Wireless Router a1392 300Mbps

B & O BeoLab 8000 powered speakers, 10ft from the LP 

Hsu ULS15 Mk II 15in sealed sub imid-room

Paradigm Monitor Series 7 12in sealed sub mid-room via wireless transmitter

Monoprice cables 10ft and 25ft, 22awg, 3.5mm plugs to RCA connections 

I am sure there are many good and great DAC’s out there.  But are there some that punch above their price category?  I also don’t want to pay a premium for one that exceeds the quality capabilities of the rest of my system.

My music sounds “A++” with my Moondrop Blessing headphones, so listening to radio.garden.com on my iPad is giving me the quality of sound that I am seeking for my speakers.

Also, I don’t know if I need a DAC with a preamp or a streamer.  Thx for any ideas you might have that could help me.

128x128tcotruvo

I think no DAC is the best DAC. Peachtree offers GAN amps that don't require a DAC. So, why spend $15k on a device to color the sound.

This reminds me of the problem I had when studying the Psychology module at university. The sheer amount of terminology being thrown at us really exasperated me.

I found it frustrating that they were using so many words and phrases that would have no meaning if I tried to use them on the street or with my family and friends.

It bothered me back then in the pre internet age, and I guess it still does now, albeit to a lesser extent.

Anyway, in the end, since folks like Amir have far, far more knowledge and experience than most of us here do, and their findings are open to scrutiny and challenge, then why not at least have a look?

I have and engineering/.science degree, but also took a course in psychology in uni and a biology course.
I don’t call myself a psychologist nor an expert on infectious diseases.

A lot of people do seem comfortable to opine on topics that that they are not necessarily expert in.

I own a CD player, and I do some DSP.
And my main experience is that we have been hearing since the 80s that CD would destroy vinyl in term on sound quality.

But I keep seeing digital systems that cost as much as some is comfortable spending or a lot more.

Maybe I am expert at at least knowing that measurements exist and that different perspectives could be worth considering?

Go for the Chord Qutest at about $1500 - $1800.  At that price, it is unbeatable.

I recently purchased a Chord Qutest.

cakyol is on the money. (“unbeatable price” lol). 

I currently own (and use) five very different DACS (AK240, AQ Dragonfly Cobalt, Bryston BDA3, Classe’ CDP10, and the Qutest). Don’t ask.

The obvious differences are use oriented features in input, output etc. The Qutest stands out by offering versatility but also ability to shape sound. Filtering options and voltage output. (If there’s such a thing as a “giant killer” here’s maybe a factor).

The Chord is interesting to my ears because it does stand out combining a naturalness with clarity..analytics but relaxed and non fatiguing.I am still playing with the filtering options! 

I can’t put my finger on it but it is anything but a typical DAC. And I do like all the other DAC’s I own but the Qutest is rapidly growing on me….